Welcome to the RVC Advice Centre Money Matters webpages!

These pages and the resources in them are here to help you plan and manage your finances as effectively as possible while studying to make sure your time here is enjoyable as well as academically fulfilling!  

If you are thinking of studying at the RVC but unsure of the funding available to you, please visit our Fees and Funding pages.  These pages include information about the RVC Bursary.

If you have questions about funding or finances that are not answered on these pages, please contact the Advice Centre's Student Money Adviser, moneymatters@rvc.ac.uk.

Emergency Funding

Emergency Funding

If you are experiencing immediate financial difficulties, debt problems or you don't have enough money for food, it's important you access support from the correct services. Some of the services below will be able to advise you on where to go to access emergency payments or food banks in your local area:

The RVC's Student Union offer Emergency Loans to RVC student.  Please see the RVC SU website for more information and to apply

Citizens Advice: Offer a range of financial and consumer advice and support along side benefit and debt advice services. Find your local Citizens Advice office to meet with someone face to face.

Money Advice Service:  The government's website with a raft of information and guidance on how and where to access support including help with taking control of your debt.

Step Change Debt Charity: What to do if you need emergency help with money and food

National Debt Line: Help if you become homeless

Students Estranged from their Family

For students who are estranged from (not in contact with) parents, attending university can be a particularly daunting process and accessing the full funding you are entitled is essential.  

StandAlone is a charity supporting people who have become estranged from their parents.  Their guide offers information about student finance for estranged students. It gives information and advice on the documents you will need to send to Student Finance England or Wales to confirm you are irreconcilably estranged (not in contact with and extremely unlikely to get back in contact with) from your family.

The EaCES Handbook was created by Estranged and Care Experienced Students in the UK and Republic of Ireland.  It offers hints on tips on applying to university, while studying and following graduation.  It is was created by students, for students.  You can access the handbook here

We also suggest you contact the Student Money Adviser when you start at the college so we can provide support and make sure you are receiving the correct funding during your studies.  E-mail moneymatters@rvc.ac.uk to make an appointment or if you have any questions before you join the RVC.

Studying Veterinary Medicine as a Second Degree

If you are a UK or EU student considering studying on the 4 year Accelerated BVetMed or the 5 year BVetMed as a second degree, please note you will be able to access a maintenance (living cost) loan only. 

Students studying a second degree can not access a tuition fee loan so please consider how you will pay the tuition fees for each year before enrolling.

You may wish to consider applying to charities or trusts for additional financial support.  Please take a look at our Other Funding Sources page.

We would encourage you to apply for your funding as earl as possible (even if you are not sure which university you will be attending) so you know how much funding you can access.  Think carefully about how you will pay your fees for each year of the course and create a budget to consider your living costs.

If you have any questions or queries about funding the Veterinary Medicine as a second degree, please email: moneymatters@rvc.ac.uk

Student Parents

Are you a parent thinking of starting at the RVC or perhaps you are a parent and already here? UCAS has a helpful section for Student with Parental Responsibilities to help you plan for university with lots of advice on things to consider before starting a course, what support the university can offer during your studies and funding as a student parent.

Did you know you could be entitled to additional funding from Student Finance if you are a parent?  Please check out the .gov.uk website for information on the Parent Learning Allowance and Childcare Grant.

Parent Learning Allowance:  Maximum of £1,863 for the 2022/23 academic year

Childcare Grant: To help with the costs of childcare at a registered childcare provide.  Students can claim up to 85% of the costs for children under 15, or under 17 if they have special educational needs.

Gingerbread is a charity who support single parent families and their website has a wealth of information on a variety of areas including funding, benefits and childcare.

Top of page