Welcome to the RVC Careers Service. We offer advice and support to current students and recent graduates.
We encourage our students to start thinking about their career options early on and to develop their employability skills during their time at RVC, both independently and through curriculum-based activities. We work closely with the various courses at RVC to offer relevant workshops and also provide individual support for students.
What do we offer?
- Relevant, timetabled workshops as part of your course
- One-to-one guidance discussions to help you with career decision making and queries
- Guidance on preparing CVs, covering letters and job applications
- Practice interviews and tips on how to handle assessment centres
- Support to help you identify your transferable skills
- Access to a range of resources including the UK’s largest careers information library and the Job Online jobs board.
As an RVC student you can access a range of resources via the RVC Careers course on Learn, RVC’s Virtual Learning Environment
How to get in touch
Mark Yates and Helen Kempster are the RVC Careers Consultants and they work on Mondays and Tuesdays, dividing their time between the Camden and Hawkshead campuses. There is also an Applications Adviser available during the autumn and spring terms.
Appointments are available face-to-face, by phone or email. Appointments are generally 20 minutes long, although longer sessions are available with Kirsty and Helen.
Short appointments can be booked on Learn here: RVC Careers Service.
Get in touch with Mark or Helen via email if you require a practice interview, a longer session, or to specify if you would like a telephone appointment.
They will also be happy to answer any questions: firstname.lastname@example.org.
The RVC Careers Service is part of The Careers Group, University of London.
Statement of Service
RVC Careers Service
Welcome to the RVC Careers Service – part of The Careers Group, University of London's network of locally provided college careers services. We are the dedicated point of contact for career management needs of all RVC clients as defined below.
To view the complete Statement of Service for The Careers Group, our parent body, please visit their website.
Who can use the RVC Careers Service?
You can use the RVC Careers Service if you are:
- a current student
- a recent graduate who graduated less than two years ago
- staff members are seen at the discretion of the service
What we offer you
- One-to-one, 20 minute quick queries and occasional longer discussions with a professional careers consultant, who will help you to develop strategies for dealing with your career related queries.
- One-to-one CV checking with a careers consultant.
- Practice interviews. If you have been invited to a real interview, a practice interview will allow you to experience a real interview situation, get feedback on your performance and tips on how to improve.
- Information on choosing your career, job-seeking skills, post-graduate study and specialist professional training in digital and paper formats.
- Skills workshops and talks, delivered by employers and careers consultants. Keep up to date with your programme on Learn and hear about upcoming workshops.
- Practice Aptitude tests and personality questionnaires.
- Access to a range of, predominantly online, vacancy services such as Job Online.
- Internet access for careers usage. For example online employer information and Careers Tagged, The Careers Group’s online resources finder.
Who we are
Mark Yates and Helen Kempster are your RVC Careers Consultants. Kirsty delivers the one to one appointments and can advise you in more detail on how to use the service. Kirsty and Morag both deliver workshops for different courses at RVC. The careers consultants will advise you on a one to one basis and help you develop your skills whatever stage you’re at in planning your future.
How to provide us with feedback
Client feedback, both positive and negative, underpins continuous, quality improvement of our service and is vital to us. To give us feedback, visit us in person or email us email@example.com.
Complaints will be dealt with in accordance with The Careers Group Complaints Procedure, available online. Please contact Kirsty Whitelock (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you would like clarification or a copy of the procedure. In the first instance any complaint should be made to an appropriate member of staff. If you are unwilling or feel unable to approach a member of Careers staff, you should raise the matter with the Advice Centre Manager.
Diversity and accessibility
The RVC Careers Service subscribes to The Careers Group standard of service for the provision of services for users with disabilities. Please ask our staff if you need assistance to enable you to use our facilities and services more effectively.
Contact Information & Opening Times
For details on how to contact us and our opening times, please visit the RVC Careers section on Learn
How to book an appointment
If you would like to book an appointment for a CV check, careers discussion or practice interview, visit the RVC Careers section on Learn or get in touch with email@example.com.