24 hour contact: 01707 666297
The joint Measurement Board (JMB) was established in 1934 to run a national scheme for the measurement of the height of horses and ponies for the purpose of description and classification of such horses and ponies for competition.
The head of the RVC's equine practice, Jason Tupper, is an Official Measurer for the scheme and we have a registered measuring pad here so can provide both Full and Annual Height Certificates.
The issuing of these certificates follows a standardised approach and is summarised below:
- Measurements must be carried out by Official Measurers on registered measuring pads with shoes removed.
- Animals cannot be measured until they are four years of age. Annual Certificates are issued to animals aged four, five and six years old, or to any animal over seven which is being measured for the first time.
- Measurements can be done at any time of the year but Annual Certificates will expire on the 31st of December following the last measurement.
- Consecutive measurements must be done by different Measurers.
- Full Certificates will be issued to horses and ponies seven years and over, provided that they have held an Annual Certificate. The Official Measurer for a Full Certificate must be from a different practice from that to which the Official Measurer who performed the last Annual Measurement belonged.
- There is a fee of £89 to cover the measurement procedure and issuing of a certificate, which has be paid at the time by cheque made payable to JMB Ltd.
- The animal’s passport and any previous JMB certificate must be available at the time of measurement, so please ensure that they accompany the animal on the day. Also all animals being measured must have a microchip inserted. This can be done at the time of measuring if required.
- Please note: The JMB adopted a paperless policy in 2017. This means that no JMB certificates will be issued or updated and all measurements will be available for inspection on their online, searchable database.
- For more information see the JMB website.