We care for a wide variety of species including small mammals, reptiles and amphibians, birds and ornamental fish. This service is delivered by exotic specialist vets and exotic specialist vet nurses.
For more complex cases, we collaborate with our specialist colleagues in other disciplines at RVC Small Animal Referral Hospital.
Non-Urgent Exotic Vet Referral Appointments
For non-emergency Exotics referrals or advice about managing an Exotics case, please email a case summary including any photos or other images to firstname.lastname@example.org
Emergency Exotic Vet Referral Appointments
Please call the Beaumont Sainsbury Animal Hospital directly on 020 7387 8134 (8am-7pm Monday-Friday, 9am-3pm Saturday excluding bank holidays).
Outside these hours, please call the Queen Mother Hospital for Animals on 01707 666399. One of our team will then contact you to discuss the case and likely management if referred, in order that you can ensure that your client has an understanding of the likely costs arising from the referral and appropriate expectations of the process. Alternatively if referral is not considered appropriate, we can advise you on in-house case management.
If we are able to accept this referral, you will be asked to email us a referral letter and the client’s history including contact details.
We provide exotic species support for veterinary practices across the UK in a number of ways such as:
- Clinical Investigations
- Diagnostic and Pathology Testing
- Advanced Diagnostic Imaging
In 2017, we upgraded our Exotic ward facilities to ensure that species-specific needs were catered for. These facilities include:
- dedicated separate waiting room area for prey species to reduce stress
- dedicated exotics suite which has:
- separate rabbit/rodent/ferret/avian and reptile wards
- bespoke temperature control capabilities
- intensive care incubators
- large walk-in kennels to facilitate companions to support pet's well-being
- adjustable lighting to create a more reassuring environment
- round-the-clock night care
- temperature regulated and ventilated avian enclosures
We offer comprehensive diagnostic evaluation tailored to each individual patient and commonly perform
- Rigid and flexible endoscopy
- Laparoscopic procedures for mammals, birds and reptiles
- Advanced imaging including:
- Complex dental procedures including surgical treatment of dental abscess in small mammals
- Ear canal ablations and bulla osteotomies
We are long-standing holders of the RWAF Gold standard rabbit friendly practice.
COVID 19 updates
If the patient is being seen at the Queen Mother Hospital near Potters Bar - please note how our service is operating to minimise the risk of infection - details here
If the patient is being seen at the Beaumont Sainsbury Animal Hospital in Camden, London - please note how our service is operating to minimise the risk of infection - details here