Pre-Vet Summer School (PVSS) - August 2023
Unfortunately, applications have now closed for our 2023 Summer School.
For further information regarding possible programme highlights, dates and entry requirements please use the dropdowns below the video.
If you have any questions or queries please contact email@example.com
Pre-Vet Summer School Objectives
Our objective is to pro-actively facilitate a learning environment that enables PVSS students to develop themselves academically and personally; whilst simultaneously providing an insight into the veterinary course/profession and a comprehensive understanding of the application process to empower students to fulfil their potential.
Pre-Vet Summer School Programme*
Students will have five placement days across our state-of-the-art clinical, animal handling and laboratory facilities. We hope to include the Queen Mother Hospital for Animals, Beaumont Sainsbury Animal Hospital, Equine Referral Hospital as well as non-clinal environments such as Boltons Park Farm, Pathology and Microbiology Labs. Typically, these placements equate to 25-35 hours of work experience (a mixture of clinical and non-clinical) that can be used when applying to vet school. NB: we have a requirement that work experience must be completed 18 months prior to the application deadline, therefore for students attending outside of this time frame the practical experience won't count towards an application to the RVC.
In addition to placements, students will undertake 5 academic days of didactic and practical teaching, such as lectures, clinical case studies, animal behaviour workshops, clinical skills activities and observe a dissection. Throughout these sessions students will meet academic staff and support staff, receive valuable insight on the application process and how best to make themselves the best applicant they can. Students will also be a allocated a student mentor so they can find out what life as an RVC student is really like.
To support the comprehensive academic/placement schedule there is also a full social programme running in the evenings and weekend; to facilitate the integration of summer school students as well as providing arenas to develop skills and attributes. In past summer schools this has included; exploring London's famous landmarks, visiting ZSL London Zoo, going to a West End show, competing in an RVC Master Chef competition, games and other experiences with animals.
Students will be based at our Hawkshead Campus, staying at our College Close student accommodation. Each student will be allocated their own private, lockable bedroom in a mixed-gender** house with shared bathrooms and a fully-equipped kitchen.
*The RVC may (at its sole discretion) change the format of the event at any time, whether or not due to a Force Majeure Event, in each case without liability.
**Subject to demographic of successful applicants.
Dates and Costs
Pre-Vet Summer School
Dates: Pre-Vet Summer School will take place between the 30th July and 11th August 2023.
Tuition Fee Costs: The cost of the Pre-Vet Summer School 2023 is £2,910 per place.
Scholarships: The RVC will award three individual scholarships covering the Tuition Fee Cost of the course
- One fee-waiver full scholarship is available to a UK student of outstanding academic merit, a strong personal statement and who falls within our Widening Participation criteria. This will be awarded to the strongest applicant, after applications have closed (to allow us to consider all applicants). NB: There is no separate application for this scholarship.
- Two fee-waiver scholarships are available to international students of outstanding academic merit and with a strong personal statement. This will be awarded to the strongest applicant, after applications have closed (to allow us to consider all applicants). NB: There is no separate application for this scholarship.
You will be assessed in reference to your achieved/predicted grades, in accordance with the below:
- In the application form you will be asked which RVC course you are most likely to consider applying to (post Summer School) from the following: Veterinary Gateway, Veterinary Medicine (5 Year) or Graduate Accelerated Veterinary Medicine (4 Year). We will use the entry requirements from one of these pathways to assess your suitability for the Summer School. Note; you need to be on track to achieving these grades.
- The application form will require a reference to support your application, this should confirm your suitability for the programme both academically and professionally. Please click here to see an example of a suitable reference for Pre-Vet Summer School.
- If English is not your first language, you will need to provide evidence of your English language proficiency for example; 6.5 in IELTS with a minimum of 6.0 in each sub-test or Pearson Test of English overall score of at least 60. If you have not yet taken any of our recognised English qualifications, you should ask your school to provide a reference that details your performance in English Language classes/examinations at school/any qualifications you have already gained in English Language. You should also ask the teacher providing your reference to outline your general proficiency in English Language in their reference. Please click here to see an example of a suitable reference for Pre-Vet Summer School. We may ask for further evidence of your English proficiency if we feel it is necessary.
- For reference of any further accepted English Language qualifications please visit our website taking note of the first column: English Language Requirements.
- Minimum age: 16 years (there is no maximum age).
- It may be a requirement to have a Visa to study at the Pre-Vet Summer School, we will provide all of the necessary information to offer holders.It may be a requirement to have a Visa to study at the Pre-Vet Summer School, we will provide all of the necessary information to offer holders.
How to Apply
Applications for 2023's Pre-Vet Summer School have now closed.
Please note, this is a competitive programme with around 50 places available to the strongest applicants. As well as being assessed on your academic suitability, we will also use the personal statement part of the application to help us decide who to offer places to.
If you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact us: firstname.lastname@example.org
If you have any questions about our Pre-Vet Summer School, the application process and/or our academic courses please get in touch:
The Royal Veterinary College,
Royal College Street
NW1 0TU, UK
Tel: +44 (0)7595411477