24 hour contact: 01707 666297
The Royal Veterinary College’s (RVC) equine clinical services were successfully assessed under the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons (RCVS) Practice Standard Scheme (PSS); this scheme promotes and recognises the highest standards of veterinary care.
RVC Equine has been awarded ‘Outstanding’ in all five categories by the RCVS, the regulatory body for the veterinary profession – the highest accolade that can be achieved. This extraordinary achievement highlights the specialist skills and dedicated care provided by staff in both the hospital and the ambulatory practice.
RVC Equine received the best possible designation of ‘Outstanding’ in five key areas:
- Team and Professional Responsibility
- Client Service
- Diagnostic Service
- In-Patient Service
- Ambulatory Service
The Equine Practice also gained full accreditation at the level of General Practice.
These latest awards emphasise the continued excellence in care provided by RVC Equine, which first received ‘Outstanding’ in all assessed categories when the scheme was launched in 2016.
Based in the RVC’s Hertfordshire campus, the Equine Hospital provides a full range of specialist referral services, from advanced diagnostic imaging to emergency surgery and intensive care.
RVC’s ambulatory Equine Practice team, consisting of eight equine vets plus vet nurses and support staff, provides routine and emergency healthcare for horses in Hertfordshire and surrounding counties. The ambulatory Equine Practice team work seamlessly together with the Equine Referral Hospital to achieve the best possible outcome for their patients.
Dr Bettina Dunkel, Head of RVC Equine, said: “We are extremely proud to have achieved five ‘Outstanding’ awards. Our entire team in RVC Equine is working hard day and night, 365 days a year, to provide exceptional patient care and customer service. Receiving the official recognition for our dedication in the form of these awards is fantastic news.”
The PSS awards help owners to recognise the skills and services a veterinary establishment excel at. The scheme honours practices that provide services above and beyond the stringent standards required for RCVS accreditation.
Notes to Editors
For more information please contact:
- Alex Cassells (email@example.com) or Ploy Radford (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Press Line: 0800 368 9520
About the RVC
- The Royal Veterinary College (RVC) is the UK's largest and longest established independent veterinary school and is a constituent College of the University of London.
- The RVC offers undergraduate, postgraduate and CPD programmes in veterinary medicine, veterinary nursing and biological sciences.
- It is currently the only veterinary school in the world to hold full accreditation from AVMA, EAEVE, RCVS and AVBC.
- In 2017, the RVC received a Gold award from the Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF) – the highest rating a university can receive.
- A research-led institution, the RVC maintained its position as the top veterinary institution in the Research Excellence Framework (2014), with 79% of its submission being rated as world-class or internationally excellent.
- The College also provides animal owners and the veterinary profession with access to expert veterinary care and advice through its teaching hospitals: the Beaumont Sainsbury Animal Hospital in central London, the Queen Mother Hospital for Animals (Europe's largest small animal referral centre), the Equine Referral Hospital and the Farm Animal Clinical Centre located at the Hertfordshire campus.
About the RCVS Practice Standards Scheme
- The RCVS Practice Standards Scheme (PSS) is a voluntary initiative to accredit veterinary practices in the UK. Through setting standards and carrying out regular assessments, the Scheme aims to promote and maintain the highest standards of veterinary care.
- For more information see RCVS Practice Standards Scheme.