Computer accounts and passwords are issued to staff and students for activities that conform with the RVC IT User policy and other regulations relating to permissible use of the College's equipment and network infrastructure.
For full details, see documents in Policies and Regulations (on Intranet) section.
To apply for an account, please complete the New User Request Form.
For security of accounts, a password policy is in operation that requires that passwords meet the following criteria:
- Passwords must be at least six characters long and not contain parts of the user name (since this makes it easier to guess).
- Passwords must contain three different types of characters from:
- English uppercase characters (A through Z)
- English lowercase characters (a through z)
- Base 10 digits (0 through 9)
- Non-alphanumeric characters (eg !, $, £, #, %)
For example, E7ephant, Eleph@nt or elephanT1 would all be acceptable.
All newly setup IT users at the RVC receive a temporary password for accessing their IT accounts. In order to gain full access to RVC online services and privileges (e.g. Email, Learn, Athens), users must change this temporary password to a more secure, personal one.
To change your password at any time, follow any of the following options:
- Logon to any RVC computer, press CTRL+ALT+DEL keys and click 'Change a password;'
- Visit https://pwm.rvc.ac.uk/ on your browser and log in with your current or temporary password to set a new one.
If you have forgotten your password, please contact the IT Helpdesk:
Remember that changing your RVC password will impact all online services that require login. For example, you must change your login details for signing onto the eduroam wireless network, email application etc. to reflect your new password.
Please note the server retains the list of the last 10 passwords so that you cannot immediately revert to the previous password used. Passwords should not be divulged to friends, colleagues or in response to any email.
IT acceptable use policy
All users must adhere to the RVC's Acceptable Use Policy when using the College's IT services.