The Beaumont Sainsbury Animal Hospital has the only specialist exotics service in central London and the only full-time exotics service at an English vet school.
Exotic pets and small mammals have different needs from cats and dogs and often require expert care when they are sick.
The RVC exotics service treats a wide variety of animals, including rabbits, ferrets and other small mammals, reptiles, birds, amphibians, ornamental fish and invertebrates. Annual health checks, in-house parasite screens and routine neutering are offered for many species. We also offer a specialist referral service for veterinary practices.
Services to support exotic pets include:
- 40 minute consults to discuss husbandry, diet and health concerns
- A separate waiting area away from cats and dogs
- Dedicated hospitalisation facilities to separate prey and predator species and make a hospital stay more calm and relaxed
We have seen a steady rise in the number of exotic pets coming to the hospital over the past years and at the beginning of 2014 we appointed European Board Certified Specialist Dr Joanna Hedley BVM&S DZooMed (Reptilian) DipECZM (Herpetology) MRCVS.
Joanna has a great deal of experience working with exotic pets, wildlife and zoo species. Jo works alongside Dr Vicki Baldrey who gained the RCVS Diploma in Zoological Medicine in 2014 and became an RCVS Recognised Specialist in Zoo and Wildlife Medicine in 2016, and Dr Nadene Stapleton BVSc MRCVS, who has 14 years of veterinary experience working with exotic pets, and dedicated exotics nurse's Abi Edis RVN FdSc CertVNES and Kelly Deane RVN.
- Caring for your Bearded Dragon (PDF)
- Caring for your Budgie (PDF)
- Caring for your Canary (PDF)
- Caring for your Chinchilla (PDF)
- Caring for your Cockatiel (PDF)
- Caring for your Corn Snake (PDF)
- Caring for your Ferret (PDF)
- Caring for your Guinea Pig (PDF)
- Caring for your Hamster (PDF)
- Caring for your Leopard Gecko (PDF)
- Caring for your Mediterranean Tortoise (PDF)
- Caring for your Parrot (PDF)
- Caring for your Tortoise after hibernation (PDF)
- Caring for your Rabbit (PDF)
- Caring for your Rat (PDF)
- Caring for your Royal Python (PDF)
- Caring for your Terrapin (PDF)
- Chronic Egg Laying in Pet Birds (PDF)
- Feather Plucking in Pet Birds (PDF)
- Feeding your Parrot (PDF)
- Feeding your pet bird sprouted seeds (PDF)
- Feeding your parrot a formulated diet (conversion advice PDF)
- Flystrike (Myiasis) in pet animals (PDF)
- Psittacosis - Parrot Fever (PDF)