- As part of the process you will need to provide us with a number of documents. All applications must be made online via Rover. You will receive an email after submitting an application which will inform you of any outstanding items.
- Do not begin the application process for 2020/21 before 1st May 2020. Your MPN(s) are only valid for 180 days, and we are not able to begin originating loans until July.
- New students joining the college in September 2020 will receive their login details by the end of June/beginning of July, provided they have received and accepted an unconditional offer and have paid their deposit.
- We will prioritise the processing of applications for new students.
- We are not able to begin originating loans until July!
When to apply
- We recommend that new students commence the application process by July to ensure your loan award is confirmed in time for your visa application.
- Continuing students should apply by August. We will prioritise the processing of applications for new students. Loan applications are typically completed by the student and processed (i.e. award confirmed) in three to four weeks.
- Continuing students with a re-sit in September should not commence the application process until July. We are not able to begin originating loans until your result is known in September.
Applications will not be processed before July for the following academic session.
Complete the FAFSA online at www.fafsa.ed.gov.The entered data will be processed into your Student Aid Report within 48 hours. After that you can return to FAFSA Online and save a copy to be sent to RVC.
Documents required in order to certify a Stafford Loan are:
- Full SAR
- Entrance Counselling (EC)
- Two MPNs (1 MPN Unsubsidised Loan and 1 MPN for the Plus Loan)
- Request for Direct Loans form (LAD)
- Cost of Attendance Calculator
- All applications must be made online via Rover.
- If anything is omitted then we cannot start the loan origination process and this will delay your access to federal financial assistance.
- You will receive an email after submitting an application which will inform you of any outstanding items, and you can upload these to your application when you have them.
Step 1 – Direct Loan Entrance Counselling (EC)
This is a “MUST” for all new students applying for Direct Loans and RECOMMENDED for continuing students
The US Department of Education regulations require all Direct Loan borrowers to receive entrance counselling. You must do this online at the www.studentloans.gov website. Entrance Counselling is in the “Manage My Direct Loan” section.
If you are a continuing student you do not have to send us proof you have done entrance counselling (unless this is your first loan application at RVC).
Direct Loan entrance counselling takes 30 – 45 minutes to complete.
When you have completed entrance counselling you will be given the option to save confirmation.
Step 2 – Submitting the Student Aid Report (SAR) to RVC
RVC requires students to submit a full SAR.The office of Federal Student Aid at the U.S. Department of Education will send you a Student Aid Report (SAR), which is a summary of the FAFSA data you submitted. You’ll get your SAR within three days to three weeks after you submit your FAFSA. Please read who-will-i-hear-from-and-when if you are still unsure.Your complete SAR document should be saved as a pdf document and uploaded during the online application process.
Step 3 – Completing & Sign a Master Promissory Note (MPN)
Agreeing to the Terms of the Loan: Once you have completed your entrance counselling, the next step is to sign a Master Promissory Note (MPN). The MPN is a contract that you sign when you receive a Direct Loan. The note includes important information about your rights and responsibilities as a borrower.
Please note you must sign an MPN for each of the loans you intend to take out as follows;
- One MPN Subsidised/Unsubsidised Loan
- One MPN for Direct Plus Loan
- Also a new MPN is required each academic year for the Subsidised /Unsubsidised Direct loan, and another for the Direct Plus Loan.
You can sign a MPN at www.studentloans.gov by clicking the link in the “Manage My Direct Loan” section.
You will be given an opportunity to save a copy of your MPN.
To Complete the Direct Plus Loan Request
There is an additional step you have to complete online for Direct Plus loans. Go to www.studentloans.gov by clicking the link “Complete Plus Request Process” in the “Manage My Direct Loan” section.
Step 4 – Work Out Your Budget and Submit Loan Request (Loan Amount Declaration (LAD) Form)
The next step is to work out your budget for the year, so that you request the right amount of loan. It is worthwhile not over-borrowing, as you will be paying interest on unsubsidised Direct Loans and Plus loans once they are disbursed. It is a simple process to request extra funds if you find you need them later.
We have developed the Interactive Cost of Attendance Calculator to help you do this. This has three elements
1. The COA Calculator worksheet tells you the maximum you can borrow, based on your course and accommodation, and breaks that down into a budget for various costs. You must submit this using the online application process.
2. The COA Budget worksheet enables you to put together your own budget and determine how much you want to borrow.
3. The LAD Form worksheet for you to complete, print and sign it and submit a signed copy online.This tells us how much you want to borrow.
- Cost of Attendance explained Please read this document which explains how to complete your budget. It also contains useful information on living costs.
- BVetMed COA; Download Cost of Attendance Calculator BVetMed 2020-21
- All other courses COA; Download Cost of Attendance Calculator Other 2020-21
- Instructions; Download instructions for the Cost of Attendance Calculator
Please note we cannot originate the loan until we receive a signed copy of the LAD form. If you can't scan it, send it to: Financial Aid, Student Records & Finance, Academic Registry, Royal Veterinary College, Royal College Street, London, NW1 0TU
Notifying the RVC
Once you have completed the steps above then you may notify the RVC of your intentions. You must provide us, via online application: using Rover
- A complete signed Loan Amount Declaration
- A copy of your completed Interactive Cost of Attendance Calculator (the Excel file, not a print off)
- A copy of your SAR
- Copies of your Master Promissory Note(s) Direct Stafford MPN and Direct Plus MPN
- Confirmation of completed Direct Loan Entrance Counselling-(first year students only)
- If you are repeating study, a signed SAP Policy declaration.
The RVC will verify the information you have provided.
If any information is incomplete or incorrect then this will almost certainly delay the origination of your loans.
You will be notified of any adjustments to your loan eligibility and the amounts which will be originated by the School.
Once the RVC is satisfied with your eligibility and loan entitlement your loans will be originated.
The RVC will then originate (create, and certify) your Direct Loan(s) with the US Department of Education.
The Award Letter
UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) requires proof of funds for any visa application or renewal. The RVC, once it has verified the information you have provided, will supply a letter by email and post which will indicate the loans we expect to originate for you to fund your studies.
Certain nationalities are considered a ‘low risk’ by the UKVI and do not need to include this letter with their application at the time of writing, this includes those from the United States (see current UKVI information here). In the event of you needing a hardcopy at the start of your application, the UKVI will accept only the original letter with a 'wet' ink signature from a designated RVC official. Please email email@example.com for a fast-track copy.
The award letter is available to loan applicants via Rover
Receiving your loan
The RVC will originate a loan for you with the US Department of Education, the US Department of Education will verified your eligibility and loan entitlement(s).
For Loan disbursement dates please refer to our Disbursement Information page.
Processing your application
Pre-requisites for processing: Please note that we cannot process applications for new students until their place has been confirmed and the non-refundable deposit has been paid.
Confirmation of loan: We will notify you by email when you have completed the application process and we have processed your Award Letter. At this point your Award Letter is available on Rover and we can also email you a signed copy on request. The Award Letter provides new students with the required proof that you have funds to support your study and is required when applying for a visa.
Please note that we do not process applications for continuing students until their exam results are known, as you must demonstrate satisfactory academic progress.
Confirmation of loan: When you have completed the application process, please make sure to check your Rover account regularly as that will hold the most up to date information on the development of your application. Please avoid emailing the Financial Aid Office as this is a very busy time for us and we will have nothing further to add.
Important - Your loan is your responsibility
Please note it is your responsibility to complete the necessary steps to complete the application process. It is common for students to upload the various documents over a period of weeks or months. Sometimes students change their mind and do not complete the process.
Consequently, we will not chase you for missing documents. However, you can check what is outstanding using Rover