Using your data
This notice tells you about the ways we the Royal Veterinary College collect and use your personal data. Before you sign up you should read it through with your parents or carers and make sure you understand what information about you that you are sharing with us and what we will do with it.
Your “Personal data” means any information that we or others can use to identify you. It may include your name, address, birthday, and other information about your life. If we collect information about your race or your religion or about your health this is called ‘special category data’ and we have to make sure that we have a good reason for collecting it and that we treat it with extra care. Because we collect your personal data and decide how we will use it we are also called a Data Controller. That means we are responsible for how we use your personal data, for treating it with care and for letting you know what we will do with it.
What personal data do we collect?
When you sign up we collect:
- Your name
- Your email address, and your parent/carer's email address
- Your birthday and age
- Your gender
- Your ethnicity - this is special category data
- Your postcode
- The name and address of your school
Why do we collect it?
We collect your information to do two main things.
- To give you information about studying and working with animals. So if you are joining Animal Academy we collect this personal data so that we can send you:
- Access to our Animal Academy website, with videos, activities, and information about studying and working with animals.
- Email newsletters like the Teen Vet Club (once a term)
- Information about events and opportunities that RVC and other animal-organisations run, that are suitable for you.
This is really important to us and so we use your personal data to help us make sure we are doing the right things to keep you interested. We do this because we and the government think it is good for as many people as possible from all sorts of different backgrounds go to university. We also use your information to tell the government what we are doing to keep you interested and to let them know whether we are doing it well or could be doing it better.
How long will we keep your personal data?
If you have signed up for Animal Academy, we will keep your personal data until you tell us you no longer want to be a member. We will then stop sending you information, and anonymise any data we hold about you (take your name and personal details off it).
How can you find out more about what we are doing with your personal data and how can you change it?
The law says that you can ask us:
- to see what personal data we have about you
- to correct any mistakes
- to stop using it
- to get rid of it
- to stop using it for certain things
- If you or your parents/carers have any concerns, then email firstname.lastname@example.org and we will help you.
Who do I contact with questions?
If you have any questions or concerns about how your personal data is used, or please contact the College’s Data Protection Officer: email@example.com
Further information, for you and your parents or carers, including our Data Protection Policy, can be found under Policy and Legal (Information Compliance).