Endell Veterinary Group (EVG) and Royal Veterinary College (RVC) recently celebrated the opening of a new purpose-built teaching centre for RVC students at Newton Wood Barns, Alton, Hampshire. Since February 2017, EVG has worked in partnership with the RVC to deliver expert tuition to the College undergraduate and postgraduate students.
As part of this initiative, EVG offers two-week core farm rotations to RVC’s final year students. The rotations were previously carried out at a temporary location.
However, students now have access to a state-of-the-art facility based in Hampshire which was officially jointly opened by Jim Wilshire, Director at EVG, and David Church, Deputy Principal at the RVC. The property provides expert teaching facilities and residential accommodation for up to 14 students. It was developed in collaboration with Rotherfield Estate, a client of EVG with two dairy herds routinely used for on-farm teaching.
In addition, the Newton Wood Barns centre houses a new branch of EVG that will help support livestock farmers throughout the local area. The EVG rotation is part of a series of five core farm weeks that all students must complete. Each rotation can take up to 14 students. Teaching during the rotation is led by Keith Cutler and Jim Willshire of EVG. The practice’s many clinical vets and vet techs, under the guidance of Sally Baker, have delivered both on-farm and seminar sessions to students as well.
Professor David Church, Deputy Principal at RVC, said: “We had very high expectations for this initiative and we are thrilled with how Endell have exceeded these in so many ways.”
Jim Willshire, Director at EVG, added: “We feel very honoured to have been trusted by the RVC with helping to shape and educate the next generation of vets and hope we can live up to the RVC’s reputation as the top vet school in the UK."
Notes to Editors
About the Royal Veterinary College
- The Royal Veterinary College (RVC) is the UK's largest and longest established independent veterinary school and is a constituent College of the University of London. The RVC offers undergraduate, postgraduate and CPD programmes in veterinary medicine, veterinary nursing and biological sciences.
- It is currently the only veterinary school in the world to hold full accreditation from AVMA, EAEVE, RCVS and AVBC. In 2017, the RVC received a Gold award from the Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF) – the highest rating a university can receive.
- A research-led institution, in the most recent Research Excellence Framework (REF2014) the RVC maintained its position as the top HEFCE funded veterinary focused research institution.
- The RVC ranked as the top vet school in the Agriculture, Veterinary and Food Science unit of the most recent Research Assessment Exercise, with 55% of academics producing world-class and internationally excellent research.
- The College also provides animal owners and the veterinary profession with access to expert veterinary care and advice through its teaching hospitals; the Beaumont Sainsbury Animal Hospital in central London, the Queen Mother Hospital for Animals (Europe's largest small animal referral centre), the Equine Referral Hospital, and the Farm Animal Clinical Centre located at the Hertfordshire campus.
About Endell Veterinary Group
Endell Veterinary Group is a large mixed practice with Farm, Equine and Small Animal departments that has been working with the local community for over 200 years. The Farm Department, which leads this venture, has 11 clinical vets, five TB testers and six vet techs providing veterinary services, advanced breeding services, foot trimming and sales to southern England, from Kent to Dorset. Website: www.endellfarmvets.co.uk