Department: Clinical Science and Services
Clinical Groups: Small Animal Emergency and Critical Care
Stefano is a Lecturer in Emergency and Critical Care and is the Co-director of the Renal Replacement Service
Stefano graduated at the University of Perugia in 2006 and after two years in private practice in Rome he then performed a rotating internship at the Animal Health Trust. He became American Specialist in Emergency and Critical Care in 2014 following a residency in ECC at the RVC and is also European and RCVS Recognised Specialist in ECC. Stefano is co-director of the Renal Replacement service.
Stefano is chair of Scientific Committee of the European Veterinary Emergency and Critical Care society and is part of the European Veterinary Emergency and Critical Care College as Member-at-Large.
Stefano is focusing his research on coagulopathy associated with trauma and Acute Kidney Injury in dogs and cats.
- Successful treatment of canine acute respiratory distress syndrome secondary to inhalant toxin. Greensmith TD, Cortellini S. J Vet Emerg Crit Care, 2018 28 (5): 469-475
- The use of a modified thromboelastography assay for detection of hyeprfibrinolysis in a dog infected with Angiostrongylus vasorum. Cole L., Barfield D.M, Chan D.L and Cortellini S. Veterinary Record Case reports. 2018
- Ultrasonography in the diagnosis and management of cats with ureteral obstruction. Lamb CR, Cortellini S, Halfacree Z.. J Feline Med Surg. 2018 Jan;20(1):15-2
- Description of the Use of Plasma Exchange in Dogs With Cutaneous and Renal Glomerular Vasculopathy. Skulberg R., Cortellini S.,Chan D. et al. Front Vet Sci. 2018 Jul 19;5:161
- Investigating and managing abdominal trauma. Cortellini S and Humm K. Vet Record 2018, 182(8): 228-229
- Abdominal trauma. Part 2 Management. Cortellini S and Humm K. In practice, 2018, 40: 2-10
- Abdominal trauma in dogs.Part 1 Emergency investigation. Humm K. and Cortellini S. In practice, 2017, 39: 434-445.
- Comparison of ultrasonographic findings in cats with and without azotaemia. Lamb CR, Dirrig H, Cortellini S. J Feline Med Surg. 2017 Oct 1
- Magnetic resonance imaging and clinical findings in carbon monoxide intoxication in dogs. A case series. Kolecka M, von Pückler K, De Decker S, Cortellini S, Wurtinger G, Schmidt MJ. Tierarztl Prax Ausg K Kleintiere Heimtiere. 2017 Feb 9;45(1):40-45
- 'New Forest syndrome': first pieces of the puzzle. Cortellini S, Humm K. Vet Rec. 2015 Apr 11;176(15):382-3.
- Neutrophil Gelatinase-Associated Lipocalin in Dogs With Sepsis Undergoing Emergency Laparotomy: A Prospective Case-Control Study. Cortellini S, Pelligand L, Syme H, Chang YM, Adamantos S. J Vet Intern Med. 2015 Nov-Dec;29(6):1595-602.
- Plasma lactate concentrations in septic peritonitis: A retrospective study of 83 dogs (2007-2012). Cortellini S, Seth M, Kellett-Gregory LM. J Vet Emerg Crit Care (San Antonio). 2015 May-Jun;25(3):388-95