Department: Clinical Science and Services
Research Groups: Pedagogy, CPCS (Research Programme)
Clinical Groups: Small Animal Internal Medicine
Jill is Professor of General Practice and responsible for the RVC's Continuing Professional Development (CPD) programme including management of the RCVS Certificate of Advanced Veterinary Practice. She is also Director of Bachelor of Veterinary Medicine (BVetMed) course and chair of the RVC's Equality and Diversity Committee. She contributes to the RVC's teaching programme for veterinary students and veterinary nurses in the areas of small animal medicine, clinical reasoning and clinical pharmacology.
Jill is a graduate of the University of Sydney. She completed an internship at the University of Sydney, spent 18 months in full time private practice in Sydney then completed a residency in small animal medicine at the University of Guelph, Canada. She returned to Australia and completed a PhD entitled Neurochemistry of Hepatic Encephalopathy at The University of Sydney. She was a senior tutor and clinician in the Department of Veterinary Clinical Sciences at the Univerity of Sydney from 1987 and from 1990-2000 was a senior lecturer in the Department of Pharmacology. During this time she also worked in general and specialist veterinary practice and was a consultant for a veterinary clinical pathology lab. In 2000 she became the Director of the Veterinary Science Foundation at the University of Sydney.
Jill moved to the UK with her family in April 2001. From 2002 she was a veterinary clinician and lecturer at the Royal Veterinary College, London based at the college’s first opinion practice and was appointed a Fellow at Girton College, Cambridge where she tutored in pharmacology. She is currently Professor of General Practice, Director of Professional Development and Director of the BVetMed course at the Royal Veterinary College (RVC). She is actively involved in undergraduate teaching and CPD at the RVC in the areas of small animal medicine, clinical problem solving and clinical pharmacology.
Jill has published over 60 refereed papers in veterinary and medical journals and is the senior editor of Small Animal Clinical Pharmacology, the 2nd edition of which was published by Elsevier in 2008. She is also senior editor of Clinical Reasoning in Small Animal Practice published by Wiley-Blackwell in March 2015. She has lectured extensively around the world on clinical problem solving, small animal internal medicine and clinical pharmacology. Jill was co-chair of the Scientific Program Committee for the World Small Animal Veterinary Association Congress held in Sydney in 2007 and is the coordinator of the small animal main clinical CPD streams at The London Vet Show. She is also the regional coordinator for South East Asia on the World Small Animal Veterinary Association Continuing Education Committee. To keep in touch with the realities of private general practice she consults at a local veterinary practice and at the RVC’s first opinion practice, the Beaumont Sainsbury Animal Hospital.
- Maddison, J.E., Volk, H. and Church, D.B (eds) 2015 Clinical Reasoning in Small Animal Practice Wiley-Blackwell, Iowa
- Maddison J.E., Page S.P and Church D.B. (eds) (2008) Small Animal Clinical Pharmacology, 2nd edition, Elsevier
- Maddison, J.E. and Papich, M. (eds) (2004) The Year in Small Animal Medicine Blackwell . ISBN 1-4051-3194-2
- Maddison J.E., Page S.P and Church D.B. (eds) (2001) Small Animal Clinical Pharmacology. WB Saunders.
- Maddison J.E. Therapeutic Update 2nd edition (1996) Published by the Postgraduate Committee in Veterinary Science University of Sydney ISBN 1 875582 56 8
- Maddison J.E. Therapeutic Update (1994). Published by the Postgraduate Committee in Veterinary Science University of Sydney ISBN 1 875582 32 0
- Maddison, J.E. and Church, D.B (in press) Understanding polyuria/polydipsia in endocrine disease. Kirk & Bonagura’s Current Veterinary Therapy XVI. Scansen, B.A & Bonagura, J.D (eds). Elsevier
- Maddison, J.E. (2017) Clinical Reasoning Skills. In Veterinary Medical Education: A Practical Guide Hodgson J.L Pelzer J.M (eds), Wiley-Blackwell, Iowa, pp380-395
- Maddison, J.E. and Murrell, J. (2013) Practical Therapeutics In: BSAVA Manual of Feline Practice Harvey, A. and Tasker, S. (eds), BSAVA, Gloucester, pp:52-91
- Maddison, J.E. (2013) Hepatoencephalopathy in Gastrointestinal and Liver Diseases of the Dog and Cat, Washabau, R. and Day, M.J (eds), Elsevier, Missouri, pp:135-139
- Maddison, J.E and Page, S.W. (2010) Adverse Drug Reactions. In: Textbook of Veterinary Internal Medicine, 7th ed. Ettinger, S.J. and Feldman, E.C. (eds). Elsevier, pp: 621-626
- Maddison, J.E. (2006) Special Considerations Related to Drug Use in Cats. In: Feline Medical Problems, Rand, J. (ed), Elsevier, Edinburgh, pp: 1342-1350
- Maddison, J. E. (2005) Hepatic encephalopathy. BSAVA Manual of Canine and Feline Gastroenterology, BSAVA, Gloucester, pp. 109-111,
- Maddison, J.E and Page, S.W. (2004) Adverse Drug Reactions. In: Textbook of Veterinary Internal Medicine, 6th ed. Ettinger, S.J. and Feldman, E.C. (eds). Saunders, pp. 527-532
- Maddison, J.E. (2004) Special considerations in feline therapeutics. In Feline Medicine and Therapeutics, 3rd ed. Chandler, E. Gaskell, C and Gaskell, R. (eds). Blackwell, Oxford
- Center, S.A and Maddison, J.E. (2004) Hepatic Encephalopathy. In: The Five Minute Consult, 3rd ed. Tilley, L.P and Smith, F.W.K (eds), Lippincott, Williams and Wilkins, p.558-559
- Maddison, J.E. (2000) Hepatic Encephalopathy. In: The Five Minute Consult, 2nd ed. Tilley, L.P and Smith, F.W.K (eds), Williams and Wilkins, pp. 768-769.
- Maddison, J.E. (2000) Adverse Drug Reactions. In: Textbook of Veterinary Internal Medicine, 5th ed. Ettinger, S.J. and Feldman, E.C. (eds). Saunders pp. 320-325.
- Watson, A.D.J., Maddison J.E. and Elliott J. (1998) Antibacterial Drugs. In: Canine Medicine and Therapeutics, Gorman N.T. (ed). Blackwell, pp. 53-72.
- Maddison, J.E. (1995) Medical Management of Chronic Hepatic Encephalopathy. In: Current Veterinary Therapy XII, Kirk, R.W., Bonagura, J. (eds) W.B. Saunders, Philadelphia, pp. 1153-1158.
- Maddison, J.E. (1993) Adverse reactions and interactions. In Antimicrobial Prescribing Guidelines for Veterinarians. Cooper, B.S. (ed). Postgraduate Foundation Publication, pp. 45-53.
Peer reviewed research publications
- Booth, S, Meller, S, Packer M.A., Farquhar, R, Maddison, J.E., Volk, H.A. (2020) Owner compliance in canine epilepsy Veterinary Record (in press)
- Lee C, Kathrani, A and Maddison, J.E. (2020) Retrospective study of the diagnostic utility of Spec fPL in the assessment of 274 sick cats. Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine. 34:1406–1412.
- Neill C, Vinten, C, Maddison, J.E. (2020) Use of inductive, problem-based clinical reasoning enhances diagnostic accuracy in final year veterinary students. Journal of Veterinary Medical Education 47:506-515.
- Armitage-Chan E; Maddison J.E; May (2016) What is the veterinary professional identity? Preliminary findings from web-based continuing professional development in veterinary professionalism. 178:318-.
- Short N, Maddison J, Mantis P and Salmon G (2007) Veterinary e-CPD: A New Model for Providing Online Continuing Professional Development for the Veterinary Profession J Veterinary Medical Education 34:689-694.
- Watson ADJ and Maddison J.E. (2001) Systemic antibacterial drug use in dogs in Australia. Australian Veterinary Journal 79: 740-746.
- Mitrovic A.D., Maddison, J.E., Johnston G.A.R. (1999) Influence of the oestrous cycle on L-glutamate and L-aspartate transport in rat brain synaptosomes. Neurochemistry International 34:101-8.
- Peaston A and Maddison, J.E. (1999) Efficacy of doxorubicin as an induction agent for cats with lymphosarcoma. Australian Veterinary Journal 77: 442-444.
- Barter L, Watson, A.D.J, Maddison, J.E. (1996) Owner compliance with short term antimicrobial medication in dogs. Australian Veterinary Journal 74: 277-280
- Barter, L, Maddison, J.E., Watson, A.D.J. (1996) Comparison of methods to assess dog owners' therapeutic compliance. Australian Veterinary Journal 74:443-446.
- Maddison, J.E., Mickelthwaite C, Watson, W.E.J., Johnston, G.A.R. (1996) Synaptosomal and brain slice cerebrocortical [3H]L-glutamate uptake in a rat model of hepatic encephalopathy. Neurochemistry International 28, 89-93
- Maddison, J.E., Watson, W.E.J., Johnston, G.A.R. (1995) L-glutamate and g-aminobutyric acid uptake in synaptosomes from the cerebral cortex of dogs with congenital chronic hepatic encephalopathy. Metabolic Brain Disease 10, 135-141.
- Allworth M., Church, D.B., Maddison, J.E., Einstein, R. Brennan, P Hussein, N., Matthews, R. (1995) The effect of enalapril in dogs with pacing induced heart failure. American Journal of Veterinary Research 56, 85-95
- Maddison, J.E., Hawke, C.G. Watson, A.D.J. (1993) Parameters of lead exposure and clinicopathology of lead toxicity in urban cats. Australian Veterinary Practitioner 24: 210-216.
- Soute B.A.M., Ulrich, M.M.W., Watson, A.D.J., Maddison, J.E., Ebberink, R.H.M., Vermeer, C. (1992) Congenital deficiency of all vitamin K-dependent blood coagulation factors due to a defective vitamin K-dependent carboxylase in Devon Rex cats. Thrombosis and Haemostasis 68, 521-525.
- Hawke, C.G, Maddison, J.E., Poulos, V., Watson, A.D.J. (1992) Erythrocyte protoporphyrin concentrations in clinically normal cats and cats with lead toxicity. Research in Veterinary Science 53, 260-262.
- Maddison, J.E., Watson, W.E.J., Johnston, G.A.R. (1992) CNQX binding to non NMDA glutamate receptors in canine cerebro-cortical crude synaptosomal membranes: pharmacological characterisation and comparison of binding parameters in dogs with congenital portosystemic encephalopathy and control dogs. Metabolic Brain Disease 7, 35-44.
- Maddison, J.E., Watson, W.E.J., Johnston, G.A.R. (1991) Cerebellar [3H]-kainate and [3H]-AMPA binding in dogs with congenital portacaval shunts. Neurochemistry International 19, 511-515.
- Maddison, J.E., Watson, W.E.J., Dodd, P.R., Johnston, G.A.R. (1991) Alterations in [3H]-kainate and a-[3H]amino-3-hydroxy-5-methyl-4-isoxazolepropionic acid binding in a spontaneous dog model of chronic hepatic encephalopathy. Journal of Neurochemistry, 56, 1881-1888.
- Maddison, J.E., Leong, D.K., Dodd, P.R., Johnston, G.A.R. (1990) Plasma GABA-like activity in rats with hepatic encephalopathy is due to GABA and taurine. Hepatology 11, 105-110.
- Marks, J.L., Maddison, J.E., Eastman, C.J. (1988) Subcellular localization of rat brain insulin binding sites. Journal of Neurochemistry 50, 774-781.
- Maddison, J.E., Dodd, P.R., Morrison M., Johnston, G.A.R., Farrell, G.C. (1987) Plasma GABA-like activity, true plasma GABA concentrations and the brain GABA receptor complex in a rat model of chronic hepatic encephalopathy. Hepatology 7, 621-628.
- Maddison, J.E., Dodd, P.R., Johnston, G.A.R., Farrell, G.C. (1987) Brain GABA receptor binding is normal in rats with thioacetamide-induced hepatic encephalopathy despite elevated plasma GABA-like activity. Gastroenterology 93, 1062-1068.
- Maddison, J.E., Yau, D., Stewart, P., Farrell, G.C. (1986) CSF gamma-aminobutyric acid levels in dogs with congenital portosystemic shunts. Clinical Science 71, 749-753.
- Maddison, J.E., Jansen, B., Pascoe, P.J. (1984) Sodium sulfanilate clearance in normal dogs and dogs with renal failure. Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association 185, 961-965.
Clinical reports, case series and reviews
- Maddison, J.E. (2018) Clinical Reasoning, Clinicians Brief May 71-76
- Maddison, J.E. (2000) Newest insights into hepatic encephalopathy. European Journal of Comparative Gastroenterology 5:17-21.
- Maddison, J.E. (1996) Adverse drug reactions: Report of the Australian Veterinary Association Adverse Drug Reaction Subcommittee, 1994. Australian Veterinary Journal 73: 132-136.
- Maddison, J.E., Church D.B., Peaston A. (1994) Treatment of lymphosarcoma in 38 dogs: 1987-1993. Australian Veterinary Practitioner 24: 94-101.
- Maddison, J.E. (1994) Adverse drug reactions: Report of the Australian Veterinary Association Adverse Drug Reaction Subcommittee, 1993. Australian Veterinary Journal 71: 53-57
- Maddison, J.E. (1992) Adverse drug reactions: Report of the Australian Veterinary Association Adverse Drug Reaction Subcommittee, 1992. Australian Veterinary Journal 69, 288-292.
- Johnson, K.A., Maddison, J.E., Allan, G.S. (1992) Correction of a cervical esophageal stricture by creation of a traction diverticulum. Journal of American Veterinary Medical Association 201, 1045-1048.
- Maddison, J.E. (1992) Current concepts of hepatic encephalopathy. Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine 6, 341-353.
- Polese, M., Bellenger, C.R., Maddison, J.E., Church, D.B. (1991) Perforate gastric ulcer associated with pyloroplasty for chronic hypertrophic pyloric gastropathy in a dog. Journal of Small Animal Practice 32, 355-358.
- Maddison, J.E., Allan G.S. (1990) Megaesophagus due to lead toxicity in a cat. Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association 197, 1357-1358.
- Bellenger, C.R., Maddison, J.E., MacPherson, G.C., Ilkiw, J.E. (1990) Chronic hypertrophic pyloric gastropathy in 14 dogs. Australian Veterinary Journal 76, 317-320.
- Maddison, J.E. (1990) A guide to diagnosis and treatment of chronic diarrhoea in the dog. Australian Veterinary Practitioner 20, 58-65.
- Maddison, J.E., Watson, A.D.J., Eade, I., Exner, T. (1990) Vitamin K-dependent multi-factor coagulopathy in Devon Rex cats. Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association 197, 1495-1497.
- Maddison, J.E. (1990) The diagnostic approach to hepatic disease in the dog. Australian Veterinary Practitioner 20, 2-7.
- Malik, R., Church, D.B., Maddison, J.E., Farrow, B.R.H. (1989) Three cases of local tetanus. Journal of Small Animal Practice 30, 460-473.
- Maddison, J.E. (1988) Canine congenital portosystemic encephalopathy. Australian Veterinary Journal 65, 245-249.
- Maddison, J.E., Johnson, R.P., Waechli-Suter, C.M. (1984) The use of corticosteroids in the management of 3 dogs with acquired myasthenia gravis. Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association 184, 845-848.
- Maddison, J.E., Hoff, B., Johnson, R.P. (1983) Steroid responsive neutropenia and thrombocytopenia in a dog. Journal of the American Animal Hospital Association 19, 881-886.
- Maddison, J.E. (1981) Portosystemic encephalopathy in two dogs: some additional diagnostic and therapeutic considerations. Journal of Small Animal Practice 22, 731-739.
- Love, D.N., Maddison, J.E., Finnimore, P.M., Rothwell, T.L.W. (1981) Isolation of Clostridium Novyi (Cl. Oedematiens ) from liver lesions in a dog with pancreatic adenocarcinoma. Journal of Small Animal Practice 22, 277-280.
Since graduation, I have practised and taught small animal medicine and clinical pharmacology to veterinary undergraduates in academic institutions on three continents as well as to practising veterinarians in many countries and veterinary nurses at the RVC. I have held teaching positions at the University of Sydney (small animal medicine, pharmacology), University College Dublin (pharmacology), Girton College, University of Cambridge (pharmacology) and the Royal Veterinary College (small animal medicine, clinical pharmacology, veterinary nursing). I have also played a seminal role in the development of continuing education for veterinary surgeons around the world for many years in almost every format imaginable – large lectures, small group seminars, distance learning and a range of different online platforms – including tutor moderated e-learning courses and webinars.
Throughout my career, regardless of my academic position, I have worked in veterinary practice at both generalist and specialist level. At the heart of my teaching philosophy is “practice what you preach”: I should never presume to teach something I do not practice. The principles that underlie my teaching, both undergraduate and postgraduate, are centred on a desire to transform the student’s or veterinarian’s understanding and thus generate fundamental changes in his or her everyday practice. I passionately believe that veterinary education should not only build the knowledge base and technical skills of students and veterinarians but also enhance their thinking and problem-solving skills. Educational delivery in whatever format should be inspiring and transforming.
Consultant at the RVC's Beaumont Sainsbury Animal Hospital in the area of small animal medicine and general practice