Department: Pathobiology and Population Sciences
Research Groups: Pathogen Flow in Ecosystems
Research Centres: Veterinary Epidemiology, Economics and Public Health
I am a computational biologist and use empirical and theoretical approaches from evolutionary genetics, genomics, and ecology to study viral evolution and transmission at multiple scales. Currently, my research focuses on avian influenza transmission dynamics in Southeast Asia as part of the One Health One Poultry Hub. I am also part of the national consortium led by the APHA to better understand how we prevent and control avian influenza outbreaks in the UK.
Before my current post, my postdoctoral research at Oxford and Duke focused on the infection and epidemic behaviour of rapidly evolving human viruses, particularly HIV-1, HCV, and seasonal influenza. However, as sequencing technologies become more affordable, I am also interested developing new methods to analyse metagenomic data sampled from wild animal populations across spatiotemporal scales.
* denotes equal contributions
Google Scholar Profile: https://bit.ly/2UWjx5T
1. Raghwani J, Faust CL, Francois S, Nguyen D, Marsh K, Raulo A, Hill SC, Parag KV, Simmonds P, Knowles SCL, Pybus OG Seasonal dynamics of the wild rodent faecal virome. Mol. Ecol. 2022. Accepted Author Manuscript. doi:10.1111/mec.16778
2. Wasberg A, Raghwani J, Li J, Pettersson JHO, Lindahl JF, Lundkvist A, Ling J. Discovery of a novel betacoronavirus in the Swedish bank voles (Myodes glareolus). Viruses. 2022 Jun 1;14(6):1205. doi: 10.3390/v14061205.
3. Raghwani J, Thompson RN, Koelle K. Selection on non-antigenic gene segments of seasonal influenza A virus and its impact on adaptive evolution. Virus Evol. 2017 Jul;3(2):vex034.
4. Raghwani J, Redd AD, Longosz AF, Wu CH, Serwadda D, Martens C, Kagaayi J, Sewankambo N, Porcella SF, Grabowski MK, Quinn TC, Eller MA, Eller LA, Wabwire-Mangen F, Robb ML, Fraser C, Lythgoe KA. Evolution of HIV-1 within untreated individuals and at the population scale in Uganda. PLoS Pathog. 2018 Jul;14(7):e1007167.
5. Watanabe Y, Raghwani J, Allen JD, Seabright GE, Li S, Moser F, Huiskonen JT, Strecker T, Bowden TA, Crispin M. Structure of the Lassa virus glycan shield provides a model for immunological resistance. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2018 Jul 10;115(28):7320-7325.
6. Lu J*, Raghwani J*, Wu J, Pryce R, Bowden TA et. al. Molecular evolution, diversity and adaptation of H7N9 influenza A viruses in China. (2018). Emerging Infectious Diseases 24 (10), 1795