Have you ever wanted to live abroad and experience a foreign culture, meet new people and learn a foreign language? Have you ever thought about enriching the period of your studies and having better chances while looking for a job in the future?

The Royal Veterinary College offers the once in a lifetime opportunity to take your studies abroad and spend part of your degree in exotic and interesting locations all over the world. You spend a semester, or a year, of your degree, as usual as if you were still at home, except you do all your classes and exams in a foreign university. 

Studying or working abroad is a way to completely change your time at University. It’s a life-changing experience that will prepare you for life like nothing else. Any employer will value your time abroad very highly, and you will too. Going abroad is like a catalyst, it will help you grow exponentially as a tolerant, self-aware, well-rounded and valued individual of any modern society. 

The Royal Veterinary College has opportunities to study abroad in both Europe, under the European Union funded Erasmus+ scheme, and outside of Europe, in our Study Abroad programmes. 

The RVC also holds the Erasmus Charter For Higher Education 2014-20 to support and encourage students and staff studying, teaching and training in Europe and is proud to offer BSc/MSci Biological Sciences Pathways students the unique opportunity to study abroad at a partner university.

The following information aims to assist students with planning and applying for participation.

Not an RVC student and want to study abroad at the RVC? Please go to our Incoming Study Abroad and Exchange page. 

What are the benefits of studying abroad?

Studying abroad is a journey of a lifetime that prepares you for life like nothing else can. These are some of the personal benefits you will enjoy:

  • Receive an intercultural perspective whilst living in a different country.
  • Experience an alternative education system and develop a broader perspective on your academic area.
  • Improve your confidence and independence.
  • Develop a professional network and long-lasting friendships abroad.
  • Develop desirable and transferable skills.
  • Receive recognition of studying abroad within your degree.
  • Improve your language skills.
  • Explore further education opportunities abroad.
  • Explore and discover amazing locations and landmarks
  • Immerse yourself in another culture, making you more globalised and tolerant to other cultures

Studying abroad has also proven to be an incredible boost to your employability chances. Employers are looking for people with international experience, an understanding of different cultures, language skills, and some transferable skills that you only get when you go abroad – ability to settle into a new place, ability to think outside the box, ability to try new things, communication skills and more. 

Who can participate?

In order to study abroad students must meet the following criteria:

  • Studying in 2nd or 3rd year of a BSc/MSci Biological Sciences Pathway at the RVC.
  • Have a good academic standing and meet the standard admissions requirements and prerequisites of the host university.
  • For Students interested in Erasmus opportunities please come to us with the following:
    • A list of preferred institutions with an Erasmus Charter
    • A relevant course and the language it is taught in (see language requirements below)
    • Length of intended study 

Where can you go?

Please double check with us whether the University you want to go to is eligible for an exchange.  

Please note that exchange agreements with Universities can expire or be terminated at any time, 

If you have any questions, please ensure you contact us at studyabroad@rvc.ac.uk .

Language requirements

Most host universities are located in non-English speaking countries thus speaking their language would be essential in order to undertake the courses. Students must supply confirmation that they are proficient in the language, unless courses are delivered in English already. In this case, speaking a secondary language would not be essential, but knowing the local language can be an advantage while living abroad. In some cases, students can take an additional module of the local language alongside studying in English.

Participants must carry out an online assessment before and at the end of the mobility period. Online linguistic support system (OLS) that is designed to assess the competence in the language of study or work before and after mobility is mandatory for those undertaking a mobility of two months or longer. The results will not stop you from taking part in the mobility activity.

Funding available

 If you are successfully nominated by the RVC and accepted by one of the Erasmus+ partner institutions or enterprise of your choice, you will be eligible for financial support depending on the type of mobility; such as the destination and length of study. However, funding is often limited and not guaranteed. Please see the following Erasmus link for indicative funding amounts: https://www.erasmusplus.org.uk/apply-for-higher-education-student-and-staff-mobility-funding  

Regardless of whether you are studying abroad on Erasmus+, or outside of Europe, you will still receive Student Finance funding if you apply for it with your regional funding authority. Furthermore, you may be eligible for an increased maintenance loan and an additional travel grant from Student Finance. Please see the Student Finance website for more information.

What are the costs?


Depending on where you want to study, the costs can vary quite significantly. In Europe, living costs outside of the main capital cities are often much less than they are here in London, however in countries like Australia, United States and Canada, their big cities tend to be as expensive if not more than London. It also depends on your lifestyle, for example, if you are more of a traveller, or if you like to socialise a lot. Partner university websites will have specific information about costs of living. Here are some of the general costs you can expect whilst planning to study abroad:  

Costs Information
Tuition Fees   Whilst studying abroad you will continue to pay normal tuition fees to the RVC; you will not be required to pay any additional tuition fees to the partner university.
Insurance Students who are EU Citizens studying in Europe should apply for European Health Insurance Card.. Certain destinations outside Europe require students to have Overseas Health Insurance Cover. 
Visa Certain destinations outside of Europe require students to have a Visa for study purposes. The Foreign & Commonwealth Office lists country profiles and requirements for British citizens. If you are not a British citizen you should visit the partner university website or country embassy/consulate website for more information.
Travel Costs Students are required to cover their return transportation costs to the partner university and country. However, students who receive financial support from Student Finance England are able to apply for a travel grant.
Accommodation   The cost of accommodation will vary depending on where you choose to live and study. We strongly advise that you use the partner university’s accommodation facilities if available. If facilities are not available, students should source private accommodation. The international office at the partner university will be able to advise and assist you in doing so. Generally, living in larger cities and central locations tends to be expensive compared to living in rural locations. You can visit the partner university website for further advice. 
Living Costs General costs such as food, energy bills, internet access, and social activities vary according to the destination and also need to be considered. You can draft a monthly cash flow forecast to help prepare financially.
Memberships, books and other educational expenses Certain universities might require students to purchase a student union membership, academic books or pay for educational trips and excursions.


Academic Matters

Students can study abroad during their 2nd or 3rd year of studies for a maximum of one term (1st or 2nd term only). Students will study at the host university the equivalent credit load they would normally take at the RVC for a single term.  For your information 15 UK credits = 7.5 ECTS at European institutions.

Students going abroad on an Erasmus study exchange are required to select courses prior to departing from the RVC. It is not compulsory to take identical modules to those offered at the RVC for the term you are abroad, however, study abroad modules should be within the academic sphere of Biological or Bioveterinary Sciences. It is essential that you agree your curriculum with the Study Abroad Director, Dr Rob Fowkes (rfowkes@rvc.ac.uk).  Similarly, if you need to change these courses while abroad, you must first seek the permission of the Study Abroad Director.

If you fail a course or courses while abroad, you should explore other opportunities available at your host institution and endeavour to achieve the necessary credits. Otherwise you may have to take additional courses on your return to the RVC.

All students are provided with a pre-departure briefing before embarking on their study abroad experience. This covers all academic and cultural preparation matters. Host universities also provide an induction programme to welcome students and allow them to meet other international students studying abroad.  Shortly after you have completed studying abroad at the host university, you will receive an academic transcript. This document will list the modules taken whilst abroad and marks awarded. Each mark will be converted and transferred to your RVC degree and recognised within your transcript and certificate.  

How to apply?

Application for exchange takes place the year before the student is due to go abroad (i.e. you should apply in second year by February to go abroad in 3rd year).

  1. If you are interested in spending a semester at one of the European partner universities, research your prospective host university/ host organisation to see if it is an appropriate destination and speak to your department about your options (they might have some useful tips). It’s important that your prospective course choices/internship activities are suitable for your degree here at the RVC.
  2. Inform Study Abroad Administrator (studyabroad@rvc.ac.uk) about your choice and duration of study abroad, and proof of your academic standing.
  3. If your Study Abroad Administrator nominates you, then you will need to organise a meeting with us to complete an Erasmus+ grant application form.
  4. Arrange accommodation, insurance, travel and visa (if necessary).
  5. Email RVC Study Abroad Office upon arriving at host country.
  6. Complete and Submit a certificate of arrival upon arriving at host university.
  7. Receive your first allocation (funding).

The Erasmus programme typically runs between June to October. All placements must be completed by the beginning of October.  

Please note: We will only consider applications from PG students if the application is supported by the academic supervisor/course leader. Please provide a letter of support with the application form.

After mobility

  1. At the end of your mobility or placement you need to submit the Recognition Document and EU Survey online report (Erasmus+ only)
  2. Finally, you should request for transcript before returning home and clear any outstanding debts.

Erasmus Institutional Information

RVC Erasmus institutional details:


Royal College Street, London, NW1 OTU

Erasmus ID code: UK LONDON149

EUC (Erasmus Charter) number: 261756-EPP-1-2014-UK-EPPKA3-ECHE

The Royal Veterinary College's Erasmus Policy Statement 

The Royal Veterinary College's Erasmus Charter

Contact Us

Name: Tel: Email:

Study Abroad Office

The Royal Veterinary College

Royal College Street



United Kingdom    

 +44 20 3214 8199 Studyabroad@rvc.ac.uk

Top of page