Can EEA Nationals (EU/EEA and Swiss citizens) apply for Residencies?

Yes, If the Withdrawal Agreement is agreed the UK will enter into a ‘transition’ or ‘implementation’ period from the date after the UK leaves the EU until 31 December 2020 (this period might be extended). After this time EU/EEA/Swiss citizens will be able to apply for immigration permission under the 'settlement scheme'.

Therefore there should be no change to our June/July 2020 EU intake. Further information can be found here.

Can non-EEA citizens apply for Residencies?

Yes, non-EEA citizens are welcome to apply for Residencies. We are keen to find the best candidates regardless of their nationality and currently have several non-EEA Residencies. Funding models for these posts are weighted towards Home/EEA citizens, so when candidates are equal, Residencies will be offered to Home/EEA citizens. Some Residencies may require applicants to have graduated from an European Association of Establishments for Veterinary Education (EAEVA)-approved veterinary school. This will be stated on the individual Residency page if it is a requirement.

Does it matter if I did not do an internship?

The importance of completing an internship prior to applying for a Residency varies between individual programmes. Some programmes place more value on experience gained in clinical veterinary practice. Please check with the requirements of the programme of interest.

How can I arrange an English language test?

If English is not your first language you will need to take an IELTS (Academic) test or equivalent. The level you need to attain can be found here.

What happens if my referee does not provide their letter of support by the deadline?

This will impact on your application. You should request a letter from your referees as soon as you have decided to apply and either attach them to your application or their contact details entered, which will automatically send an email to your referees requesting them to submit a reference.

Is it necessary to pass an examination to become MRCVS before starting the Residency?

Membership with the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons requires an examination only if your veterinary degree is not recognised by the RCVS. Many veterinary degrees awarded by schools worldwide are recognised, so do not require examination. For further details please go to the RVCS website. New residents normally register with the RCVS at the start of their residency.

Can I apply for a Residency if I already have a PhD?

Yes, candidates with a PhD are welcome to apply for any Residency; however, funding is prioritised for candidates without a PhD. Under exceptional circumstances, these posts may be offered to individuals with a PhD. Candidates should contact the Graduate School to check eligibility status. This does not apply for Zoo Health Management and Wildlife Population Health - we do not accept candidates who already have a PhD on these residencies.

Can I apply to more than one Residency in the same year?

You may, but this is not encouraged.  Your priority may be unclear and it would not improve your chances of being offered a position. Most programmes are interested in individuals committed to a specialty.

Can I visit the RVC before applying for a Residency?

Yes, we encourage you to visit so that you can meet academic staff and existing residents and learn more about our programmes. Please contact the director of the specific training programme to arrange a visit (see further information).

Do the Residency programmes offer elective periods of study at other schools?

Under the advisement of your programme supervisor, residents may arrange elective periods in other institutions.

Is accommodation provided for Residents?

Accommodation is not provided or funded; however, we may be able to help you find suitable accommodation if you are offered a Residency. Please contact the Accommodation Office at

Is there a charge for the Residency?

No, all tuition fees are funded by the relevant departments.

Is a stipend provided?

Yes. Information on stipend can be found here.

Are there funds provided for Residents for completion of research projects?

Some departmental funding might be available to cover or contribute to the cost of CPD, travel, conferences, AV production, photocopying and library requests. This information is available upon request, from the Head of Department. Residents will have the opportunity to apply for competitive grants to fund research projects.

What proportion of Residents from the RVC gain specialty board certification?

Over 90% of Residents from the RVC achieve specialty board certification, most on their first attempt, although success rates vary between subjects.

Is the start date of the Residencies flexible?

All Residents are expected to start in the first week of July of each year when induction activities are scheduled. Starting late (e.g. because of a prior commitment) would make the start of your programme more difficult. There may be flexibility for Zoo Health Management and Wildlife Population Health residencies.

Top of page