Department: Comparative Biomedical Sciences
My roles are BVetMed Deputy Course Director, Teaching Co-ordinator for the Department of Comparative Biomedical Sciences, and Faculty Advisor for the RVC Chapter of the Student American Veterinary Medical Association (SAVMA). I have oversight of Anatomy teaching for the College's BVetMed, Graduate (Accelerated) BVetMed (GAB), Gateway and BSc Biological and Bioveterinary Sciences courses.
I am a veterinary graduate of the University of Pretoria (1990) and have a PhD in Veterinary Pharmacology (1997) from the Royal Veterinary College and University of London. I am a member of the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons.
I am an External Examiner for the Bristol Veterinary School, University of Bristol, and the Royal (Dick) School of Veterinary Studies, University of Edinburgh.
I have authored original research in veterinary pharmacology (primarily in the field of equine anti-arthritic drugs), veterinary pedagogy, and veterinary diagnostic imaging.
- Lamb, Lam, Keenihan & & Frean, 2014 ‘Appearance of the Canine Meninges in Subtraction Magnetic Resonance Images’ Veterinary Radiology and Ultrasound 55: 607-613
- Iddon, Lockyer, & Frean, 2014 ‘The effect of season and track condition on injury rate in racing greyhounds’ Journal of Small Animal Practice 55: 399-404
- Kinnison, Forrest, Frean & Baillie, 2009 ‘Teaching Bovine Abdominal Anatomy: Use of a Haptic Simulator’ Anatomical Sciences Education 2: 280-285
- Frean, Cambridge & Lees, 2002 ‘Effects of anti-arthritic drugs on proteoglycan synthesis by equine cartilage’ Journal of Veterinary Pharmacology and Therapeutics 25: 289-298
- Arifah, Landoni, Frean & Lees, 2001 ‘Pharmacodynamics and pharmacokinetics of ketoprofen enantiomers in sheep’ American Journal of Veterinary Research 62: 77-86
- Lee, Noguchi, Frean, Lees & Bader, 2000 ‘The influence of mechanical loading on isolated chondrocytes seeded in agarose’ Biorheology 37: 149-161
- Frean, Gettinby & Lees, 2000 ‘Influence of interleukin-1β and hyaluronan on proteoglycan release from equine navicular hyaline cartilage and fibrocartilage’ Journal of Veterinary Pharmacology and Therapeutics 23: 67-72
- Frean & Lees, 2000 ‘Effects of polysulfated glycosaminoglycan and hyaluronan on prostaglandin E2 production by cultured equine synoviocytes’ American Journal of Veterinary Research 61: 499-505
- Frean, Abraham & Lees, 1999 ‘In vitro stimulation of equine articular cartilage proteoglycan synthesis by hyaluronan and carprofen’ Research in Veterinary Science 67: 183-90
- Armstrong, Tricklebank, Lake, Frean & Lees, 1999, ‘Pharmacokinetics of carprofen enantiomers in equine plasma and synovial fluid – a comparison with ketoprofen’ Journal of Veterinary Pharmacology and Therapeutics 22: 196 – 201
- Hammond, Hannon, Frean, Armstrong, Flower and Bryant, 1999 ‘Endotoxin induction of nitric oxide synthase and cyclooxygenase-2 in equine alveolar macrophages’ American Journal of Veterinary Research 60: 426-431
- Lee, Frean, Lees & Bader, 1998 ‘Dynamic mechanical compression influences nitric oxide production by articular chondrocytes seeded in agarose’ Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications 251: 580-585
- Frean, Bryant, Fröling & Lees, 1997 ‘Nitric oxide production by equine articular cells in vitro’ Equine Veterinary Journal 29: 98-102
- Landoni, Foot, Frean & Lees, 1996 ‘Effects of flunixin, tolfenamic acid, R(-) and S(+) ketoprofen on the response of equine synoviocytes to lipopolysaccharide stimulation’ Equine Veterinary Journal 28: 468-475
I teach undergraduate (primarily veterinary) students the basic sciences (anatomy, histology and physiology) in many parts of our integrated, body systems-based curriculums. I contribute to curriculum development and have responsibility for delivering teaching, both personally and by my colleagues.