Dr Ashton Faulkner
Postdoctoral Researcher in Vascular Cell Biology
Department: Comparative Biomedical Sciences
Research Groups: Cardiovascular and Renal Biology
My overarching research aim is to further our mechanistic understanding of how molecular sensors and modulators of metabolism regulate cardiovascular cell function, with a goal of harnessing this knowledge in the design of novel therapeutic interventions. Of particular interest to me is understanding the molecular control of fatty acid channelling within vascular cells, how this is modulated during the establishment of metabolic disease, and how we can therapeutically exploit these processes to facilitate cardiovascular protection and repair.
- Jover, E. Faulkner, A. Madeddu, P. & Lopez-Andrés, N. (2022). Editorial: Inflammation, metabolism and epigenetics in valvular heart disease. Frontiers in Cardiovascular Medicine, 9: 880015.
- Lopez Rioja, A. Faulkner, A. & Mellor, H. (2022). srGAP2 terminates RhoA signaling to control the duration of thrombin-mediated endothelial permeability. Vascular Biology, 4 (1): K1-K10
- Faulkner, A. (2021). Trans-endothelial trafficking of metabolic substrates and its importance in cardio-metabolic disease. Biochemical Society Transactions, 49 (1): 507-517
- Jover, E. Fagnano, M. Cathery, W. Slater, S. Pisanu, E. Gu, Y. Avolio, E. Bruno, D. Baz-Lopez, D. Faulkner, A. Carrabba, M. Angelini, G. & Madeddu, P. (2021). Human adventitial pericytes provide a unique source of anti-calcific cells for cardiac valve engineering: Role of microRNA-132-3p. Free Radical Biology and Medicine, 165: 137-151
- Cathery, W. Faulkner, A. Jover, E. Rodriguez-Arabaolaza, I. Thomas, A. Avolio, E. Caputo, M. & Madeddu, P. (2021). Umbilical cord pericytes provide a viable alternative to mesenchymal stem cells for neonatal vascular engineering. Frontiers in Cardiovascular Medicine, 7: 609980
- Faulkner, A. Tamiato, A. Cathery, W. Rampin, A. Maria Caravaggi, C. Jover, E. Allen, S. Mellor, H. Hauton, D. Heather, L.C. Spinetti, G. & Madeddu, P. (2020). Dimethyl-2-oxoglutarate improves redox balance and mitochondrial function in muscle pericytes of individuals with diabetes mellitus. Diabetologia, 63 (10): 2205-2217
- Faulkner, A.* Avolio, E.* Thomas, A.C.* Dang, Z.* Batstone, T. Lloyd, G.R. Weber, R.J.M. Najdekr, L. Jankevics, A. Dunn, W.B. Spinetti, G. Vecchione, C. Puca, A.A. & Madeddu, P. (2020). Multi-omics analysis of diabetic heart disease in the db/db model reveals potential targets for treatment by a longevity-associated gene. Cells 9 (5): 1283
- Dang, Z.* Avolio, E.* Thomas, A.C.* Faulkner, A. Beltrami, A.P. Cervellin, C. Carrizzo, A. Maciag, A. Gu, Y. Ciaglia, E. Finato, N. Damato, A. Spinetti, G. Alenzi, A. Paisey, S.J. Vecchione, C. Puca, A.A. & Madeddu, P. (2020) Transfer of a human gene variant associated with exceptional longevity improves cardiac function in obese type-2 diabetic mice through induction of the SDF-1/CXCR4 signalling pathway. European Journal of Heart Failure, 22 (9): 1568-1581
- Faulkner, A. Lynam, E. Purcell, R. Jones, C. Lopez, C. Board, M. Wagner, KD. Wagner, N. Carr, C. & Wheeler-Jones, C. (2020). Context-dependent regulation of endothelial cell metabolism: differential effects of the PPARβ/δ agonist GW0742 and VEGF-A. Scientific Reports, 10: 7849
- Cathery, W. Faulkner, A. Maselli, D. & Madeddu, P. (2018). The regenerative journey of pericytes toward clinical translation. Stem Cells, 36 (9): 1295-1310.
- Faulkner, A. Purcell, R. Hibbert, A. Latham, S, Thomson, S. Hall, WL. Wheeler-Jones, C. & Bishop-Bailey, D. (2014). A thin-layer angiogenesis assay: a modified basement matrix assay for assessment of endothelial cell differentiation. BMC Cell Biology, 15: 41
- Bishop-Bailey, D. Thomson, S. Askari, A. Faulkner, A. & Wheeler-Jones, C. (2014). Lipid-Metabolizing CYPs in the Regulation and Dysregulation of Metabolism. Annual Reviews Nutrition, 34: 261-279.
- Carter, SE. Faulkner A. & Rakobowchuk, M. (2014). The role of prostaglandin and antioxidant availability on recovery from forearm ischemia-reperfusion injury in humans. Journal of Hypertension, 32 (2): 339 -351.
- Faulkner, A. & Garrett, AT. (2013). Effect of gender on p-wave dispersion in asymptomatic populations. International SportMed Journal, 14 (4): 236-244.
- Jadczyk, T. Faulkner, A. & Madeddu, P. (2013) Stem cell therapy for cardiovascular disease: the demise of alchemy and rise of pharmacology. British Journal of Pharmacology, 169: 247-268.
- Faulkner, A. & Madeddu, P. (2011). Stem cell therapy: a new approach for treatment of myocardial infarction. J stem cell res ther, S1:004. DOI:10.4172/2157-7633.S1-004.
- Lane J.A.E., Faulkner A., Finding E.J.T., Lynam E.G., Wheeler-Jones C.P.D. (2022) Use of a Thin Layer Assay for Assessing the Angiogenic Potential of Endothelial Cells In Vitro. In: Fiedler L.R., Pellet-Many C. (eds) VEGF Signaling. Methods in Molecular Biology, vol 2475. Humana, New York, NY.
Published Conference Proceedings:
- Avolio, E. Thomas, A. Dang, Z. Faulkner, A. Gu, Y. Beltrami, A.P. Carrizzo, A. Maciag, A. Ciaglia, E. Ferrario, A. Damato, A. Spinetti, G. Vecchione, C. Puca, A.A. & Madeddu, P. (2020) Rescue of cardiac function in obese type-2 diabetic mice by transfer of a human longevity gene. European Heart Journal 41 (Suppl. 2); 3653.
- Faulkner, A. Purcell, R. Jones, C. Lopez, C. Carr, C. Board, M. Bishop-Bailey, D. & Wheeler-Jones, C. (2017) Context-dependent regulation of endothelial cell metabolism in vitro: differential effects of VEGF-A and the PPARβ/δ agonist GW0742. Journal of Vascular Research, 54 (Suppl. 1); 52.
- Purcell, R. Latham, S. Faulkner, A. Botham, K. Hall, W. & Wheeler-Jones, C. (2017) The protective endothelial-directed actions of resolvin D1 require COX-1 and PPARβ/δ activity. Journal of Vascular Research, 54 (Suppl. 1); 51.
- Faulkner, A. Jones, C. Watts, S. Purcell, R. Carr, C. Board, M. Wheeler-Jones, C. & Bishop-Bailey, D. (2015) Agonist-dependent utilisation of NAD+ for metabolic regulation of tubulogenesis by human endothelial cells. Journal of Vascular Research, 52 (Suppl. 1); 32-33.
- Latham, S. Purcell, R. Nicolaou, A. Faulkner, A. Bishop-Bailey, D. Botham, K. Hall, W. & Wheeler-Jones, C. (2015) Cyto-protective and pro-repair actions of N-3 PUFA and their oxygenated metabolites: roles of endothelial NOX4 and FPR2/ALX. Journal of Vascular Research, 52 (Suppl. 1); 56
- Faulkner, A. Purcell, R. Hibbert, A. Latham, S, Thomson, S. Hall, WL. Wheeler-Jones, C. & Bishop-Bailey, D. (2014) A thin-layer angiogenesis assay: a modified basement matrix assay for assessment of endothelial cell differentiation. Proceedings of the British Pharmacological Society pA2online, 12 (3).
- Faulkner, A. Thomson, S. Wheeler-Jones, C. & Bishop-Bailey, D. The PPARβ/δ ligand GW0742 inhibits oxidative metabolism target genes in the human endothelial EAhy.926 cell line. Proceedings of the British Pharmacological Society pA2online, 11 (3).