Department: Clinical Science and Services
Abigail is a Veterinary Nurse in exotic species at the Beaumont Sainsbury Animal Hospital, Royal Veterinary College, London.
Abigail qualified at Royal Veterinary College with a foundation degree in Veterinary Nursing in 2010. She went on to work in a number of practices in the Hertfordshire and London area soon after. She undertook the City and Guilds Certificate in Veterinary Nursing Exotic Species in 2012 and moved to begin her career in Exotic species nursing at the Beaumont Sainsbury Animal Hospital in 2013.
Her role includes general nursing care of all exotic species at the hospital, nursing complex inpatient cases and assisting with surgical procedures and anaesthetics in these species. She regularly teaches vet and nurse students at both campus’s and lectures in her own time at national conferences.
Abigail's current research interests include guinea pig medicine and aneasthesia.
- Edis, A., 2021. Clinical presentation and management of liver lobe torsions in domestic rabbits. The Veterinary Nurse, 12(9), pp.420-425.
- Edis. A., 2019. Humane euthanasia of exotic and wildlife species. Vet times, volume 49, issue 43, October 28, 2019.
- Edis, A., 2019. Gastric dilatation volvulus in guinea pigs (Cavia porcellus). The Veterinary Nurse, 10(3), pp.156-161.
- Edis, A. Pellett, S., (2019) Veterinary care if guinea pigs. Part 3: urogenital, dermatological, endocrine and ophthalmic disease. Companion Animal, 24(2), pp 108-117
- Edis, A. Pellett, S., (2018) Veterinary care of guinea pigs. Part 2: respiratory, cardiac, dental and gastrointestinal disease. Companion Animal, 23(12), pp.711-717.
- Edis, A. Pellett, S., (2018) Veterinary care of guinea pigs. Part 1: husbandry, stabilisation and diagnostics. Companion Animal, 23(11), pp.649-657.
- Edis. A, (2018) Aural disease in rabbits - lop-eared welfare repercussions. VN times, volume 18, issue 7, July 2018, p.18-19.
- Edis. A, (2017) Nursing considerations and management of wounds in psittacine patients. The Veterinary Nursing Journal. 32 (10) 293-297.
- Edis. A, (2017) How to anaesthetise reptiles. The Veterinary Nurse. 8 (4) 221-225.
- Edis A, (2016/17) How to manage intraosseous catheters in exotic species. The Veterinary Nurse. 7 (10) 589-5921.
- Edis A, (2016) Guinea pig anaesthesia - how can risks be reduced. The Veterinary Nurse. 7 (9) 530-535
- Edis A, Lumbis R, Hedley J (2016) Nursing management of a rabbit undergoing a rhinostomy. The Veterinary Nurse. 7 (1) 18-24.
Abigail teaches vet and nursing students within the Beaumont Sainsbury Animal hospital on a daily bases, she occationally teaches vet and nurse students outside of work at both Hawkshead and Camden campus's. She also also lectures on a regular bases at national conferences across the country.
Abigail's clinical interests include guinea pig medicine and exotic animal aneasthesia and critical care.