Department: Clinical Sciences and Services
Joanna is a Lecturer in Exotic Species and Small Mammal Medicine and Surgery at the Royal Veterinary College in Camden
Joanna qualified from Royal (Dick) School of Veterinary Studies in 2003 and spent time in mixed, small animal, exotic and wildlife practice before undertaking a residency in Exotic Animal and Wildlife medicine back at R(D)SVS where she obtained her RCVS Diploma in Zoological Medicine.
She is currently a RCVS specialist in Zoological and Wildlife medicine and European specialist in herpetological medicine. She joined the Royal Veterinary College in 2014 as Lecturer in Exotic Species and Small Mammal Medicine and Surgery. She is based at the Royal Veterinary College in Camden, where she is leads the exotics clinical service and is developing student teaching of exotic species.
Joanna's current research interest include reptile medicine and exotic pet welfare
Hedley J (2016) Initial management in captivity. In; BSAVA Manual of Wildlife Casualties, 2nd edition. 66-72
Hedley J (2016) Reproductive diseases of reptiles. In Practice 38:457-462
Hedley J (2016) Anatomy and Disorders of the Oral Cavity of Reptiles and Amphibians. Veterinary Clinics of North America: Exotic Animal Practice. 19 (3) 689-706
Contributor to Self-Assessment Color Review; Rabbit Medicine and Surgery 2nd edition. (2016) Editors Keeble, Meredith & Richardson.
- Edis A, Lumbis R, Hedley J (2016) Nursing management of a rabbit undergoing a rhinostomy. The Veterinary Nurse. 7 (1) 18-24
- Stapleton N & Hedley J (2015) Rabbit health and welfare: Management and treatment. Veterinary Times. 45 (48) 6-8
- Hedley J (2015) Inappetant rabbit to the snuffly rat – a problem-based approach to exotic pet medicine. London Vet Show Congress Times. 8-10
- Hedley J (2015) Husbandry and nutrition for exotic pets – including some you’ve never heard of. BVNA Congress Times. 10-12
- Hedley J & Kubiak M (2015) Neurologic Diseases of Birds and Reptiles. Journal of Exotic Pet Medicine , Volume 24 , Issue 1 , 6 - 20
• Silpa MAC, Thornton SM, Cooper T, Hedley J. Prevalence of Presenting Conditions in Grey Seal Pups (Halichoerus grypus) Admitted for Rehabilitation. Veterinary Sciences. 2015; 2(1):1-11.
• Hedley J (2014) What Every Practitioner Should Know about Snakes. Veterinary Times. 38: 12-14
• Hedley J (2014) What Every Practitioner Should Know about Lizards. Veterinary Times. 42: 11-13
• Hedley J (2014) Advice on Husbandry and Management of Chelonians. Veterinary Times. 38: 12-14
• Hedley J (2014) Respiratory Diseases. In Manual of Rabbit Medicine. Editors Meredith & Lord. BSAVA, Gloucester. Pp….
• Grosset C, Bellier S, Lagrange I, Moreau S, Hedley J, Hawkins M & Reyes-Gomez E (2014) Cutaneous botryomycosis in a Campbell’s Russian dwarf hamster (Phodopus campbelli). Journal of Exotic Pet Medicine. 23(4) 389-396
• Hedley J, Eatwell K, Schwarz T (2014) Computed tomography of ball pythons (Python regius) in curled recumbency. Veterinary Radiology & Ultrasound. 55(4) 380-6
• Hedley J, Eatwell K (2014) Cloacal prolapses in reptiles. Journal of Small Animal Practice. 55(5): 265-8
• Mancinelli E, Keeble E, Richardson J, Hedley J (2014) Husbandry risk factors associated with hock pododermatitis in UK pet rabbits (Oryctolagus cuniculus) Veterinary Record. 174:429
• Hedley J (2014) How to perform a reptile clinical exam. Companion Animal 19(2) 106-109
• Hedley J (2014) How to anaesthetize a bird. BSAVA Companion Feb 2014
• Hedley J (2014) African pygmy hedgehogs: general care and health concerns. Companion Animal 19(1) 40-44
• Eatwell K, Hedley J, Barron R (2014) Reptile haematology and biochemistry. In Practice 36: 34-42
• Hedley J (2013) How to anaesthetize a reptile. BSAVA Companion Dec 2013, 14-19
• Hedley J, Eatwell K, Shaw DJ (2013) Gastrointestinal parasitic burdens in UK tortoises: a survey of tortoise owners and potential risk factors. Veterinary Record 30;173(21):525
• Hedley J (2013) Sick reptiles: diagnostics on a budget. Veterinary Times, 43 (45) 31-32
• Hedley J, Woods S, Eatwell K. (2013) The use of negative pressure wound therapy following subcarapacial abscess excision in a tortoise. Journal of Small Animal Practice, 54 (11) 610-613
• Hedley J, Eatwell K (2013) The effects of UV light on calcium metabolism in ball pythons (Python regius). Veterinary Record 173:345
• Hedley J (2013) A review of gastrointestinal parasites in tortoises. Testudo 7(5): 1-11
• Hedley J, Benato L, Fraga G, Palgrave C, Eatwell K (2013) Congestive heart failure due to endocardiosis of the mitral valves in an African pygmy hedgehog. Journal of Exotic Pet Medicine, 22 (2): 212-217
• Eatwell K, Mancinelli E, Hedley J, Benato L, Shaw DJ, Self I & Meredith A (2013) Use of arterial blood gas analysis as a superior method for evaluating respiratory function in pet rabbits (Oryctolagus cuniculus). Veterinary Record, 173:166
• Eatwell K, Mancinelli E, Hedley J, Keeble E, Kovalik M and Yool DA (2013) Partial ear canal ablation and lateral bulla osteotomy in rabbits. Journal of Small Animal Practice, 54: 325–330.
• Philbey A, Hedley J. (2013) Peripheral nerve sheath tumour in bearded dragon. Joint Pathology Center (formerly Armed Forces Institute of Pathology) Wednesday Slide Conference
• Goodman G, Hedley J, Meredith A (2013) Field techniques in zoo and wildlife conservation work. Journal of Exotic Pet Medicine. 22(1): 58-64
• Hedley J (2013) Encephalitozoon cuniculi. www.vetvisuals.com
• Hedley J (2012) Metabolic bone disease in reptiles Part 2:Companion Animal, 17:38-41
• Hedley J (2012) Metabolic bone disease in reptiles Part 1:Companion Animal, 17:52-54
• Grosset C, Reyes-Gomez E, Hedley J, Stambouli F (2012) Aneurysmal bone cyst on the carpus of an African Collared Dove (Streptopelia roseogrisea). Journal of Avian Medicine and Surgery, 26(1): 11-16
• Hedley J (2011) Critical Care of the Rabbit. In Practice, 33(8): 386-391
• Hedley J (2011) Clinical conundrum: Investigating anorexia in a tortoise. BSAVA Companion, July 2011: 8-11
• Hedley J (2011) African pygmy hedgehogs. Veterinary Times, 41(13): 14-16
• Hedley J, Higgs E (2011) Caring for Wildlife in Ireland. Irish Veterinary Journal, 64(2): 98-103
• Hedley J, Eatwell K (2010) Tibiotarsal fracture in a Sulphur-Crested Cockatoo (Cacatua galerita). Consulta, 73-75
• Hedley J, Eatwell K, Hume L (2010) Necrotising fungal dermatitis in a group of bearded dragons (Pogona vitticeps). Veterinary Record, 166: 464-465
• Hedley J (2010) Anaesthesia in exotics Part 2: Birds. Veterinary Nursing Journal, 25: 24–27
• Hedley J (2010) Anaesthesia in exotics Part 1: Reptiles. Veterinary Nursing Journal, 25: 24–27
• Hedley J (2009) Anaesthesia in Small Mammals. Veterinary Nursing Journal, 24: 29-32
• Hedley J (2009) Reproductive Disease in Reptiles. Veterinary Times, 39(38): 20-22
Joanna is involved in teaching in the clinical environment for undergraduate students at the Beaumont Sainsbury Animal Hospital. She also teaches on the BVetMed and VN course. She has spoken at continuing education meetings and conferences both nationally and internationally in the field of exotic pet medicine.
Joanna's clinical interests include; reptile and wildlife medicine.