College life and professional training can be both exciting and stressful, coupled with personal difficulties that you may encounter. Counselling can help you with any emotional or psychological difficulties that may be preventing you from making the most of your time at the RVC.
The counselling services are confidential and free. Our Counsellors are professional BACP accredited, sourced via the University of Hertfordshire, so you can be sure of total confidentiality.
Counsellors will not tell you what to do, but can help you think about your difficulties from a different perspective so that you can be freer to think about any options that may be open to you, or ways of approaching your problems.
What Can Counselling Help With?
Some of the issues students bring are:
- Anxieties about aspects of studies including exams and presentations
- General stress and anxiety
- Relationship difficulties
- Eating problems
- Bereavements and parental separations
- Loneliness and homesickness
- Lack of self confidence or low esteem
- Managing transitions
- Making difficult decisions
- Traumatic experiences, including rape, assault or abuse
- Difficulties with alcohol or drugs
- Issues around sex, sexuality and gender
- Suicidal thoughts
- Anger management
- Worries about appearance
What Other Services Do Counsellors Offer?
- Individual counselling
- Group counselling upon request
- Workshops (eg exam anxiety, transitions, mindfulness)
- Referral to other services
- Telephone and Skype counselling for students on placement
- Information about specialist services
- Please contact the Counselling Service directly if you have any other queries about services on offer
When Are Counsellors Available?
At Camden: A counsellor is available every Tuesday and Wednesday from 9am - 5pm
At Hawkshead: We have two counsellors available every Wednesday from 1pm - 7pm.
How To Book An Appointment
- To book an appointment with a Counsellor please call 01707 284 453 (Open 9am - 5pm, Monday to Fridays) or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- You can also speak to a Counsellor by telephone if you are away from campus or would like to speak to someone urgently.
- Remember to say you are an RVC student and which campus you are at.