Published papers to which students on undergraduate courses at the RVC have contributed.
(Undergraduate students’ names in bold; Year is year published).
- O’Neill, D. G., Pegram, C., Crocker, Penelope, Brodbelt, D. C., Church, D. B., & Packer, R. M. A. (2020)
Unravelling the health status of brachycephalic dogs in the UK using multivariable analysis.
Scientific Reports, 10(1), 17251.
- Wheble, Roisin; Channon, S B
What Use is Anatomy in First Opinion Small Animal Veterinary Practice? A Qualitative Study (2020)
Anatomical Sciences Education.
- O'Neill, DG; Phillipps, SA; Egan, Jordan; Brodbelt, DB; Church, DB; Volk, HA. (2020)
Epidemiology of recurrent seizure disorders and epilepsy in cats under primary veterinary care in the United Kingdom.
Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine.
- Pegram, C L; Rutherford, L; Corah, Caroline; Church, D B; Brodbelt, D C; O'Neill, D G (2020)
Clinical management of lipomas in dogs under primary care in the UK.
- Heeley, A.M., O'Neill, D.G., Davison, L.J., Church, D.B., Corless, Ellie and Brodbelt, D.C.
Diabetes mellitus in dogs attending UK primary-care practices: frequency, risk factors and survival
Canine Medicine and Genetics, 7(1), 6: 2020
- O'Neill, D G; Brodbelt, D C; Hodge, Rebecca; Church, D B; Meeson, R L.
Epidemiology and clinical management of elbow joint disease in dogs under primary veterinary care in the UK.
Canine Medicine and Genetics (was Canine Genetics and Epidemiology), 7;1: 2020
(See also: https://www.rvc.ac.uk/Media/Default/VetCompass/200204%20Elbow%20disease%20infographic.pdf)
- O’Neill, D G; Packer, R M A; Lobb, Meghan; Church, D B; Brodbelt, D C; Pegram, C.
Demography and commonly recorded clinical conditions of Chihuahuas under primary veterinary care in the UK in 2016.
BMC Veterinary Research, 16;42: 2020
- Hutchinson, J R; Felkler, Dean; Houston, K; Chang, Y M; Brueggen, J; Kledzik, D; Vliet, K A.
Divergent evolution of terrestrial locomotor abilities in extant Crocodylia.
Scientific Reports (Nature), 9;1: 2019
- Benfield, C T O; MacKenzie, F; Ritzefeld, M; Mazzon, M; Weston, S; Tate, E; Teo, Boon Han; Smith, S E; Kellam, P; Holmes, E C; Marsh M.
Bat IFITM3 restriction depends on S-palmitoylation and a polymorphic site within the CD225 domain. Life Science Alliance, 3;1: 2019
- May, E; Prosser, A; Downs, S H; Brunton, L A.
Exploring the Risk Posed by Animals with An Inconclusive Reaction to the Bovine Tuberculosis Skin Test in England and Wales. Veterinary Sciences, 2019
- O'Neill, D G; Turgoose, Emily; Church, D B; Brodbelt, D C; Hendricks, A. Juvenile-onset and adult-onset demodicosis in dogs in the UK: prevalence and breed associations. Journal of Small Animal Practice, 2019
- O'Neill, D G; Romans, C; Brodbelt, D C; Church, D B; Cerna, P; Gunn-Moore, D A. Persian cats under first opinion veterinary care in the UK: demography, mortality and disorders. Scientific Reports (Nature), 912952. 2019
- O'NEILL, D. G., SKIPPER, A. M., KADHIM, J., CHURCH, D. B., BRODBELT, D. C. & PACKER, R. M. A. 2019. Disorders of Bulldogs under primary veterinary care in the UK in 2013. PLOS ONE, 14, e0217928
- O'NEILL, D. G., ROONEY, N. J., BROCK, C., CHURCH, D. B., BRODBELT, D. C. & PEGRAM, C. 2019. Greyhounds under general veterinary care in the UK during 2016: demography and common disorders. Canine Genetics and Epidemiology, 6, 4.
- Packer, R M A; Davies, A M; Volk, H A; Puckett, H L; Hobbs, S L; Fowkes, R C.
What can we learn from the hair of the dog? Complex effects of endogenous and exogenous stressors on canine hair cortisol. PLoS One, 14;5:e0216000. 2019
- Wilson, A; Allers, N; Lloyd, D H; Bond, R; Loeffler, A. Reduced antimicrobial prescribing during autogenous staphylococcal bacterin therapy: a retrospective study in dogs with pyoderma. VETERINARY RECORD, 2019
- O’Neill, D G; O’Sullivan, A M; Manson, E A; Church, DB; McGreevy, PD; Boag, A K; Brodbelt, DC. Canine dystocia in 50 UK first-opinion emergency care veterinary practices: clinical management and outcomes. VETERINARY RECORD, 2019
- O'Neill, DG; Butcher, C; Church, DB; Brodbelt, DC; Gough, AG. Miniature Schnauzers under primary veterinary care in the UK in 2013: demography, mortality and disorders. Canine Genetics and Epidemiology, 6;1, 2019
- Loeffler, A; Herrick, D; Allen, S; Littlewood, J D.
Long‐term management of horses with atopic dermatitis in southeastern England: a retrospective questionnaire study of owners’ perceptions.
VETERINARY DERMATOLOGY, 29;6:526-e176. 2018
- O’Connor, R E; Farré, M; Joseph, S; Damas, J; Kiazim, L; Jennings, R; Bennett, S; Slack, EA; Allanson, E; Larkin, DM; Griffin, DK.
Chromosome-level assembly reveals extensive rearrangement in saker falcon and budgerigar, but not ostrich, genomes.
Genome Biology, 19;171: (2018)
- O'Neill, DG; Corah, C H; Church, DB; Brodbelt, DC; Rutherford, L.
Lipoma in dogs under primary veterinary care in the UK: prevalence and breed associations.
Canine Genetics and Epidemiology, 5;9: (2018)
- Milroy, K; Whiting, M; Abeyesinghe, S.
Reporting of suspected dog-fighting to the police, RSPCA and equivalents by veterinary professionals in the UK.
VETERINARY RECORD, (2018)
- Tombacz, K; Burgess, G; Holder, AL; Werners, A; Werling, D.
Toxoplasma gondii profilin does not stimulate an innate immune response through bovine or human TLR5.
Innate Immunity, (2018).
This paper was selected as Editor's choice.
- Rosanowski, SM; Banica, M; Ellis, E; Farrow, E; Harwood, C; Jordan, B; James, C; McKenna, D; Fox, M; Blake, DP.
The molecular characterisation of Cryptosporidium species in relinquished dogs in Great Britain: a novel zoonotic risk?
PARASITOLOGY RESEARCH, 117;5:1663-1667. (2018)
- O'Neill, DG; Baral, L; Church, DB; Brodbelt, DC; Packer, RMA.
Demography and disorders of the French Bulldog population under primary veterinary care in the UK in 2013.
Canine Genetics and Epidemiology, 5;3: (2018)
- Mosey, H; Núñez, JA; Goring, A; Clarkin, CE; Staines, KA; Lee, PD; Pitsillides, AA; Javaheri, B.
Sost deficiency does not alter bone’s lacunar or vascular porosity in mice.
Frontiers in Materials, 4;27: (2018).
- Dutton, LC; Church, SAV; Hodgkiss-Geere, H; Catchpole, B; Huggins, A; Dudhia, J; Connolly, DJ.
Cryopreservation of canine cardiosphere-derived cells: Implications for clinical application.
Cytometry Part A, 93A;1:115-124. (2018).
- Gibson, TJ; Rebelo, CB; Gowers, TA; Chancellor, NM.
Electroencephalographic assessment of concussive non-penetrative captive bolt stunning of turkeys.
BRITISH POULTRY SCIENCE, 59;1:13-20. (2018)
- Ball, S
Optimal pressures and irrigation techniques used in small-animal wound management.
Veterinary Nursing Journal, 32;11:325-328. (2017).
- Pollard, A S; Charlton, B G; Hutchinson, J R; Gustafsson, T; McGonnell, I M; Timmons, J A; Pitsillides, A A.
Limb proportions show developmental plasticity in response to embryo movement.
Scientific Reports (Nature), 7. (2017).
- Hambleton, S Y N; Gibson, T J.
Study investigating the attitudes and opinions of cattle farmers and veterinarians in the UK on the use of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) for post-disbudding analgesia of calves.
ANIMAL WELFARE, 26;3:322-333. (2017)
- Dixon, W H R; Kinnison, T; May, S A.
Understanding the primary care paradigm: an experiential learning focus of the early veterinary graduate.
VETERINARY RECORD, 181. (2017)
- Pfau, T; Simons, V; Rombach, N; Stubbs, N; Weller, R.
Effect of a 4-week elastic resistance band training regimen on back kinematics in horses trotting in-hand and on the lunge.
EQUINE VETERINARY JOURNAL, (2017)
- Dunkel, B; Pfau, T; Fiske-Jackson, A; Veres-Nyeki, K O; Fairhurst, H; Jackson, K; Chang, Y M; Bolt, D M.
A pilot study of the effects of acupuncture treatment on objective and subjective gait parameters in horses.
VETERINARY ANAESTHESIA AND ANALGESIA, 44;1:154-162. (2017).
- O'Neill DG, Darwent EC, Church DB, Brodbelt DC.
Border Terriers under primary veterinary care in England: demography and disorders.
Canine Genetics and Epidemiology. 2017;4(1):15.
- Bruce, H L; Barrow, P A; Rycroft, A N.
Zoonotic potential of Salmonella enterica carried by pet tortoises.
- O'Neill, D G; Case, J; Boag, A K; Church, D B; McGreevy, P D; Thomson, P C; Brodbelt, D C.
Gastric dilation-volvulus in dogs attending UK emergency-care veterinary practices: prevalence, risk factors and survival.
JOURNAL OF SMALL ANIMAL PRACTICE,. 2017
- O'Neill, D G; Coulson, N R; Church, D B; Brodbelt, D C.
Demography and disorders of German Shepherd Dogs under primary veterinary care in the UK.
Canine Genetics and Epidemiology, 4;7 (2017)
- Nolan, M J; Unger, M; Yeap, Y T; Rogers, E; Millet, I; Harman, K; Fox, M; Kalema-Zikusoka, G; Blake, D P.
Molecular characterisation of protist parasites in human-habituated mountain gorillas (Gorilla beringei beringei), humans and livestock, from Bwindi impenetrable National Park, Uganda.
Parasites & Vectors, 10;340 (2017)
- Ashby, J.
Peripheral intravenous catheter care in hospitalised cats and dogs.
Veterinary Nursing Journal, 32;2:32-36. (2017)
- Beever, L J; Giles, K; Meeson, R;.
Postoperative complications associated with external skeletal fixators in cats.
JOURNAL OF FELINE MEDICINE AND SURGERY, 19; 727-736. (2017)
- Booler, H S; Pagalday-Vergara, V; Williams, J L; Hopkinson, M; Brown, S C.
Evidence of early defects in Cajal-Retzius cell localization during brain development in a mouse model of dystroglycanopathy.
NEUROPATHOLOGY AND APPLIED NEUROBIOLOGY, 43;4:330-345. (2017)
- Cheng, Z R; Chauhan, L; Barry, A T; Abudureyim, A; Oguejiofor, C F; Chen, X; Wathes, D C.
Acute BVDV infection inhibits expression of interferon-stimulated genes during pregnancy recognition in bovine endometrium.
BIOLOGY OF REPRODUCTION, (2017)
- Thornton L A; Cave N; Bridges J P; Stell A J.
Owner perceptions of their cat's quality of life when treated with a modified University of Wisconsin-Madison protocol for lymphoma.
J Feline Med Surg. 2017 May 1 (2017)
- Jonas, K C; Melrose, T; Thompson, I R; Baxter, G F; Lipscomb, V J; Niessen, S J; Lawson, C; McArdle, C A; Roberson, M S; McGonnell, I M; Wheeler-Jones, C P D; Fowkes, R C.
Natriuretic peptide activation of extracellular regulated kinase 1/2 (ERK1/2) pathway by particulate guanylyl cyclases in GH3 somatolactotropes.
CELL AND TISSUE RESEARCH, (2017)
- Lamb, C R; Pope, E H W; Lee, K C L.
Results of computed tomography in dogs with suspected wooden foreign bodies.
VETERINARY RADIOLOGY & ULTRASOUND, 58;2:144-150. (2017).
- Marugan-Hernandez, V; Long, E; Blake, D; Crouch, C; Tomley, F.
Eimeria tenella protein trafficking: differential regulation of secretion versus surface tethering during the life cycle.
Scientific Reports (Nature), 7; 4557 (2017).
- O'Neill, D G; O'Sullivan, A M; Manson, E A; Church, D B; Boag, A K; McGreevy, P D; Brodbelt, D C.
Canine dystocia in 50 UK first-opinion emergency-care veterinary practices: prevalence and risk factors.
VETERINARY RECORD, (2017)
- O'Neill, D G; Lee, M M; Brodbelt, D C; Church, D B; Sanchez, R F.
Corneal ulcerative disease in dogs under primary veterinary care in England: epidemiology and clinical management.
Canine Genetics and Epidemiology, 4. (2017)
- Pollard, A S; Charlton, B G; Hutchinson, J R; Gustafsson, T; McGonnell, I M; Timmons, J A; Pitsillides, A A.
Limb proportions show developmental plasticity in response to embryo movement.
Scientific Reports (Nature), 7. (2017)
- Spalla, I; Payne, J R; Borgeat, K A; Pope, A; Fuentes, V L; Connolly, D J.
Mitral Annular Plane Systolic Excursion and Tricuspid Annular Plane Systolic Excursion in Cats with Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy.
JOURNAL OF VETERINARY INTERNAL MEDICINE, 31;3:691-699. (2017).
- M Inglis contributed to this paper through helping with the raw data collection: Bomphrey, R J; Nakata, T; Phillips, N; Walker, S M.
Smart wing rotation and trailing-edge vortices enable high frequency mosquito flight.
Nature, 54492-95. (2017)
- Wilson, A M; Agass, R; Vaux, S; Sherlock, E; Day, P; Pfau, T; Weller, R.
Foot placement of the equine forelimb: relationship between foot conformation, foot placement and movement asymmetry.
EQUINE VETERINARY JOURNAL, 48;1:90-96. (2016).
- Osborne, C; West, E; Nolan, W; McHale-Owen, H; Williams, A; Bate, C.
Glimepiride protects neurons against amyloid-beta-induced synapse damage.
NEUROPHARMACOLOGY, 101225-236. (2016)
- Pfau, T; Daly, K; Davison, J; Bould, A; Housby, N; Weller, R.
Changes in movement symmetry over the stages of the shoeing process in military working horses.
VETERINARY RECORD, 179;8: (2016)
- Pfau, T; Jennings, C; Mitchell, H; Olsen, E; Walker, A M; Egenvall, A; Troester, S; Weller, R; Rhodin, M.
Lungeing on hard and soft surfaces: Movement symmetry of trotting horses considered sound by their owners.
EQUINE VETERINARY JOURNAL, 48;1:83-89. (2016)
- Devonshire, A.
Extended patient care report for anaesthetic management of a patient undergoing ovariohysterectomy for pyometra.
Veterinary Nurse, 7;1:48-52. (2016)
- Wilkes, K.
A patient care report of a dog that had hemilaminectomy surgery to decompress the spinal cord.
Veterinary Nurse, 7;2:124-31. (2016).
- Sines, D.
Moxidectin intoxication in a dog - a patient care report.
Veterinary Nurse, 7;3:182-186. (2016).
- Jobson, L.
Nursing a canine patient with a pneumothorax - a patient care report.
Veterinary Nurse, 7;4:240-244. (2016).
- Nelson, D.
Care report for a Dogue De Bordeaux with congestive heart failure due to dilated cardiomyopathy.
Veterinary Nurse, 7;6:358-363. (2016).
- Orme, H.
Nursing a canine in septic shock: a patient care report.
Veterinary Nurse, 7;9:542-547. (2016).
- W. P. Koehler contributed to this paper through digitizing the tip vortex cores: Bomphrey, R J; Nakata, T; Henningsson, P; Lin, H-T.
Flight of the dragonflies and damselflies.
Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society B: Biological Sciences, 371;1704:20150389. (2016)
- Fortuna, L; Relf, J; Chang, Y M; Hibbert, A; Martineau, H M; Garden, O A.
Prevalence of FoxP3+ Cells in Canine Tumours and Lymph Nodes Correlates Positively with Glucose Transporter 1 Expression.
JOURNAL OF COMPARATIVE PATHOLOGY, 155;2-3:171-180 (2016).
- Staines, K A; Madi, K; Mirczuk, S M; Parker, S; Burleigh, A; Poulet, B; Hopkinson, M; Bodey, A J; Fowkes, R C; Farquharson, C; Lee, P D; Pitsillides, A A.
Endochondral growth defect and deployment of transient chondrocyte behaviours underlie osteoarthritis onset in a natural murine model.
ARTHRITIS & RHEUMATOLOGY, 68;4:880-891. (2016).
- Poulet, B; Liu, K; Plumb, D; Vo, P; Shah, M; Staines, K; Sampson, A; Nakamura, H; Nagase, H; Carriero, A; Shefelbine, S; Pitsillides, A A; Bou-Gharios, G.
Overexpression of TIMP-3 in chondrocytes produces transient reduction in growth plate length but permanently reduces adult bone quality and quantity.
PLoS One, 11;12:e0167971. (2016).
- Pollard, A S; Boyd, S; McGonnell, I; Pitsillides, A A.
The role of embryo movement in the development of the furcula.
JOURNAL OF ANATOMY, 230;3:435-443. (2016).
- Cheng, Z R; Abudureyimu, A; Oguejiofor, C F; Ellis, R; Barry, A T; Chen, X; Anstaett, O L; Brownlie, J; Wathes, D C.
BVDV alters uterine prostaglandin production during pregnancy recognition in cows.
REPRODUCTION, 151; 6: 605-614. (2016).
- Sanchis Mora, S; Pelligand, L; Thomas, C L; Volk, H A; Abeyesinghe, S M; Brodbelt, D C; Church, D B; Thomson, P C; McGreevy, P D; O' Neill, D G.
Dogs attending primary-care practice in England with clinical signs suggestive of Chiari-like malformation/syringomyelia.
VETERINARY RECORD, 179;17:436. (2016).
- Daley, M A; Channon, A J; Nolan, G S; Hall, J.
Preferred gait and walk–run transition speeds in ostriches measured using GPS-IMU sensors.
JOURNAL OF EXPERIMENTAL BIOLOGY, 219;20; 3301-3308. (2016).
- Booler, H; Williams, J L; Hopkinson, M; Brown, S C.
Degree of Cajal-Retzius cell mislocalisation correlates with the severity of structural brain defects in mouse models of dystroglycanopathy.
Brain Pathology, 26;4:465-478. (2016)
- Gibson, A J; Woodman, S; Pennelegion, C; Patterson, R; Stuart, E; Hosker, N; Siviter, P; Douglas, C; Whitehouse, J; Wilkinson, W; Pegg, S A; Villarreal-Ramos, B; Werling, D.
Differential Macrophage Function in Brown Swiss and Holstein Friesian Cattle.
VETERINARY IMMUNOLOGY AND IMMUNOPATHOLOGY, 18115-23. (2016)
- Cardy, T J A; Tzounos, C E; Volk, H A; De Decker, S.
Clinical characterization of thoracolumbar and lumbar intervertebral disk extrusions in English Cocker Spaniels.
JOURNAL OF THE AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION, 248;4:405-12. (2016)
- Packer, R M A; Lucas, R; Volk, H A.
Owner perception of focal seizures in canine epilepsy.
VETERINARY RECORD, (2016)
- Suiter, E J; Packer, R M A; Volk, H A.
Comparing the effects of first-line antiepileptic drugs on the gait of dogs with idiopathic epilepsy.
VETERINARY RECORD, 178;26: (2016)
- De Decker, S; Warner, A-S; Volk, H A.
Prevalence and breed predisposition for thoracolumbar intervertebral disc disease in cats.
JOURNAL OF FELINE MEDICINE AND SURGERY, (2016)
- Whiting, M; Alexander, A; Habiba, M; Volk, H A.
A survey of veterinary clients’ perceptions of informed consent at a referral hospital.
VETERINARY RECORD, (2016)
- O'Neill, D G; Gostelow, R; Orme, C; Church, D B; Niessen, S J M; Verheyen, K L P; Brodbelt, D C.
Epidemiology of diabetes mellitus among 193,435 cats attending primary-care veterinary practices in England.
JOURNAL OF VETERINARY INTERNAL MEDICINE, 30;4. (2016)
- O'Neill, DG; Darwent, EC; Church, DB; Brodbelt, DC.
Demography and health of Pugs under primary veterinary care in England.
Canine Genetics and Epidemiology, 3;1:1-12. (2016).
- O'Neill, DG; Scudder, C; Faire, JM; Church, DB; McGreevy, PD; Thomson, PC; Brodbelt, DC.
Epidemiology of hyperadrenocorticism among 210,824 dogs attending primary-care veterinary practices in the UK from 2009 to 2014.
JOURNAL OF SMALL ANIMAL PRACTICE. (2016)
- O'Neill, DG; Meeson, RL; Sheridan, A; Church, DB; Brodbelt, DC.
The epidemiology of patellar luxation in dogs attending primary-care veterinary practices in England.
Canine Genetics and Epidemiology, 3;1:1-12. (2016)
- Suiter, EJ; Packer, RMA; Volk, HA.
Comparing the effects of first-line antiepileptic drugs on the gait of dogs with idiopathic epilepsy.
VETERINARY RECORD, (2016).
- Pegg E, Doyle K, Clark EL, Jatau ID, Tomley FM, Blake DP (2016) Application of a new PCR-RFLP panel suggests a restricted population structure for Eimeria tenella in UK and Irish chickens. Veterinary Parasitology DOI: 10.1016/j.vetpar.2016.09.018.
- Aher AM, Caudill D, Caudill G, Butryn RS, Wolf D, Fox M, Blake DP, Cunningham MW (2016) Prevalence, distribution, and ecological factors associated with heartworm (Dirofilaria immitis) infection in wild coyotes (Canis latrans) from Florida, USA. Journal of Wildlife Diseases DOI: doi.org/10.7589/2015-09-223.
- Poulet, B; De Souza, R; Kent, A V; Saxon, L K; Barker, O; Wilson, A M; Chang, Y M; Cake, M; Pitsillides, A A.
Intermittent applied mechanical loading induces subchondral bone thickening that may be intensified locally by contiguous articular cartilage lesions.
OSTEOARTHRITIS AND CARTILAGE, 23;6:940-948. (2015).
- Javaheri, B; Carriero, A; Staines, K A; Chang, Y M; Houston, D A; Oldknow, K J; Millan, J L; Kazeruni, B N; Salmon, P; Shefelbine, S; Farquharson, C; Pitsillides, A A.
Phospho1 deficiency transiently modifies bone architecture yet produces consistent modification in osteocyte differentiation and vascular porosity with ageing.
BONE, 81277-291. (2015)
- Watson, F C E; Brodbelt, D C; Gregory, S P.
Comparison of oesophageal, rectal and tympanic membrane temperature in anaesthetised client-owned cats.
Veterinary Nurse, 190 - 195. (2015)
- Packer, R M A; Nye, G; Porter, S E; Volk, H A.
Assessment into the usage of levetiracetam in a canine epilepsy clinic.
BMC Veterinary Research, 11;1:340. (2015)
- Barkway CP, Pocock RL, Vrba V, Blake DP (2015) Loop-mediated isothermal amplification (LAMP) assays for the species-specific detection of Eimeria that infect chickens. Journal of Visualized Experiments 96: e52552.
- De Decker, S; Wawrzenski, L A; Volk, H A.
Clinical signs and outcome of dogs treated medically for degenerative lumbosacral stenosis.
JOURNAL OF THE AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION, 245;4:408-413. (2014)
- Pollott, GE; Charlesworth, A; Wathes, DC.
Possibilities to improve the genetic evaluation of a rare breed using limited genomic information and multivariate BLUP.
Animal, 685-694. (2014)
- Blowey, R; Inman, B
Is there a case for reassessing hoof-trimming protocols?.
VETERINARY RECORD, 171;23:592-593. 2012
- Cheng, Z R; Abayasekara, D R E; Ward, F; Preece, D M; Raheem, K A; Wathes, D C.
Altering n-3 to n-6 polyunsaturated fatty acid ratios affects prostaglandin production by ovine uterine endometrium.
ANIMAL REPRODUCTION SCIENCE, 143;1-4:38-47. (2013)
- Preston, SM; Shihab, N; Volk, HA.
Public perception of epilepsy in dogs is more favorable than in humansEpilepsy & Behaviour, 2013
- Shaw, TA; McGonnell, IM; Driver, CJ; Rusbridge, C; Volk, HV.
Caudal cranial fossa partitioning in Cavalier King Charles spaniels.
Veterinary Record, 2013
- Spence, AJ; Nicholson-Thomas, G; Lampe, R.
Closing the loop in legged neuromechanics: an open-source computer vision controlled treadmill. Journal of Neuroscience Methods, 2013.
- Hassell JM, Blake DP, Cranfield MR, Ramer J, Hogan JN, Noheli JB, Waters M and Hermosilla C (2013) Occurrence and molecular analysis of Balantidium coli in Mountain Gorilla (Gorilla gorilla beringei) in the Volcanoes National Park, Rwanda. Journal of Wildlife Diseases 49:1063-1065.
- Jeanes C, Vaughan-Higgins R, Green RE, Sainsbury AW, Marshall RN, Blake DP (2013) Two new Eimeria species parasitic in corncrakes (Crex crex) (Gruiformes: Rallidae) in the United Kingdom. Journal of Parasitology 99:634-638.
- Driver, C., DeRisio, L., Hamilton, S., Rusbridge, C., Dennis, R., McGonnell, I., Volk, H.A., 2012. Changes over time in craniocerebral morphology and syringomyelia in cavalier King Charles spaniel. BMC VetRes 8: 215.
- Shaw, T.A., McGonnell, I., Driver, C., Rusbridge, C., Volk, H.A., 2012.Increase in cerebellar volume in Cavalier King Charles Spaniels with Chiari-like malformation and its role in the development of syringomyelia. PLoS One 7:e33660.
- Quinn, C., Kinninson T & May, SA. Care and Justice orientations to moral decision making in veterinary students. Vet Rec. 2012: 171(18): 446.
- Ogden, U., Kinninson T & May, SA. Attitudes to animal euthanasia do not correlate with acceptance of human euthanasia or suicide. Vet Rec.2012 Aug 18;171(7):174
- Preece, D., Lam, R., Williams, S.B. and Weller, R. “Let’s Get Physical”: Advantages of Physical Models over 3-D Computer Models in Learning MRI Anatomy, Anatomical Science Education, in press
- Arndt, J.L., Pfau, T, Day, P., Pardoe, C., Bolt, D.M. and Weller, R. “Forces applied with hoof tester vary widely between users”, Vet Record, in press
- Holroyd, K., Dixon, J.J., Mair, T., Bolas, N. Bolt, D.M., David, F. and Weller, R. (2012) “Variation in foot conformation in lame horses with different foot lesions”, The Veterinary Journal, in press
- Braid, F., Williams, S.B. and Weller, R. (2012) Design and validation of a novel learning tool, the “Anato-Rug”, for teaching equine topographical anatomy, Anatomical Science Education (2012) 5 (5): 256-264
- Lawson, J., Bolt, D., Smith, A.J., Felstead, C., May, S.A. and Weller, R. (2012) “Detection of joint effusion on radiographs of horses” Vet Record, 170(13):336
- Thompson IR; Chand AN; King PJ; Ansorge O; Karavitaki N; Jones C;Rahmutula D; Gardner DG; Zivkovic V; Wheeler-Jones CP; McGonnell IM; Korbonits M; Anderson RA; Wass JA; McNeilly AS; Fowkes RC.
Expression of guanylyl cyclase-B (GC-B/NPR2) receptors in normal human fetal pituitaries and human pituitary adenomas implicates a role for C-type natriureticpeptide.
Endocr Relat Cancer (2012);19(4):497-508
- Gill RB; Day A; Barstow A; Zaman G; Chenu C; Dhoot GK
Mammalian Sulf1 RNA alternative splicing and its significance to tumour growth regulation. Tumour Biol.2012
- Gill RB; Day A; Barstow A; Liu H; Zaman G; Dhoot GK
Sulf2 gene is alternatively spliced in mammalian developing and tumour tissues with functional implications.
Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2011 Oct 28;414(3):468-73
- Ronchetti, A., Day, P. and Weller, R. Mediolateral hoof balance in relationship to the handedness in farriers, Vet Record 168(2):48. Epub 2011 doi: 10.1136/vr.c5993
- Upchurch J, McGonnell IM & Volk H (2011) Influence of head positioning on the assessment of Chiari-like malformation in Cavalier King Charles Spaniels. Vet Rec. 2011 Sep 10;169(11):277.
- Naylor RJ, Perkins JD, Allen S, Aldred J, Draper E, Patterson-Kane J, Piercy RJ. Histopathology and computed tomography of age-associated degeneration of the equine temporohyoid joint. Equine Veterinary Journal (2011); 42 (5): 425-430.
- Barkway CP, Pocock RL, Vrba V, Blake DP (2011) Loop-mediated isothermal amplification (LAMP) assays for the species-specific detection of Eimeria that infect chickens. BMC Veterinary Research 7:67.
- Allen, V., Ellsey, R., Jones, N., Wright, J., Hutchinson, J.R. (2010).Functional specialisation and ontogenetic scaling of limb anatomy inAlligator mississippiensis. Journal of Anatomy 216:423-445.
- Claridge, H., Parry, A., Piercy, R. and Weller, R. The 3D anatomy of the cervical articular process joints in the horse: can effusion of these joints cause spinal cord compression? Equine Vet J., Nov;42(8):726-31. doi: 10.1111/j.2042-3306.2010.00114.x.
- Driver, C. J., Rusbridge, C., Cross, H. R., McGonnell, I., Volk, H. A., 2010. Relationship of brain parenchyma within the caudal cranial fossa and ventricle size to Syringomyelia. JSAP 51: 382-386.
- Gregory, N.G., Fielding, H.R., von Wenzlawowicz, M. and von Holleben, K. (2010). Time to collapse following slaughter without stunning in cattle. Meat Science 85, 66-69.
- Kendall, S. L. Burgess, P. Balhana, R. Withers, M. ten Bokum, A. Lott, J. S. Gao, C. Uhia-Castro I. and Stoker N. G. (2010) Cholesterol utilization in mycobacteria is controlled by two TetR-type transcriptional regulators: kstR and kstR2. Microbiology ; 156 (5): 1362 – 1371.
- Perkins, J.D., Raffetto, J., Thompson, C., Weller, R., Piercy, R. and Pfau, T. (2010) Three-dimensional biomechanics of simulated laryngeal abduction in horses. Am J Vet Res., 2010 Sep;71(9):1003-10.
- UPJOHN, M., COBB, C., MONGER, J., GEURDEN, T., CLAEREBOUT, E., FOX, M.T. (2010) Prevalence, molecular typing and risk factor analysis for Giardia duodenalis infections in dogs in a central London rescue shelter. Veterinary Parasitology (accepted for publication) Parasitology 172, 341-346
- Thompson H, Griffiths JS, Jeffery G, McGonnell IM (2010) The retinal pigment epithelium of the eye regulates the development of scleral cartilage. Dev Biol. 2010 Nov 347:40-52.
- MacRae VE, Horvat S, Pells S, Dale H, Collinson RS, Pitsillides AA, Ahmed SF & Farquharson C. (2009)
Increased Bone Mass, Altered Trabecular Architecture and Modified Growth Plate Organization in the Growing Skeleton of SOCS2 Deficient Mice. Journal of Cellular Physiology, 218;2:276-284.
- Parkes, R., Forrest, N., Baillie, S. A Mixed Reality Simulator for Feline Abdominal Palpation Training in Veterinary Medicine. Studies in Health Technology and Informatics (2009), 142: 244-6. (Adobe PDF)
- Parkes, R.S.V., Weller, R., Groth, A.M., May, S.A. and Pfau, T. (2009) “Evidence of the development of ‘domain-restricted’ expertise in the recognition of asymmetric motion characteristics of hindlimb lameness in the horse” Equine Vet J., 41(2):112-7
- Smith, A.J., Felstead, C., Lawson, J. and Weller, R. (2009) “An innovative technique for displaying three dimensional radiographic anatomy of synovial structures in the equine distal limb”, Vet Rad and Ultrasound, 50(6):589-94
- Starke, S.D., Robilliard, J.J., Weller, R., Wilson, A.M., Pfau, T. (2009) “Walk-run classification of symmetrical gaits in the horse: a multidimensional approach” J R Soc Interface 6(33):335-42
- Widdicombe, J.P., Rycroft, A.N. and Gregory, N.G. 2009. Hazards with cracked eggs and their relationship to egg shell strength. Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture 89, 201-205.
- Stevens, K. B.; Marr, C. M.; Horn, J. N. R.; Pfeiffer, D. U.; Perkins, J. D.; Bowen, I. M.; Allan, E. J.; Campbell, J.; Elliott, J. (2009) Effect of left-sided valvular regurgitation on mortality and causes of death among a population of middle-aged and older horses Veterinary Record 164(1) pp. 6-10
- Z. Windley, R. Weller, W. H. Tremaine and J. D. Perkins (2009) Two- and three-dimensional computed tomographic anatomy of the enamel, infundibulae and pulp of 126 equine cheekteeth. Part 1: Findings in teeth without macroscopic occlusalor computed tomographic lesionsEquine Veterinary Journal 41(5) 441-448
- Z. Windley, R. Weller, W. H. Tremaine and J. D. Perkins (2009) Two- and three-dimensional computed tomographic anatomy of the enamel, infundibulae and pulp of 126 equine cheekteeth. Part 2: Findings in teeth with macroscopic occlusalor computed tomographic lesionsEquine Veterinary Journal 41 (5) 433-440.
- Perkins, J. D., Bennett, C., Windley, Z. and Schumacher, J., (2009)Comparison of Sinoscopic Techniques for Examining the Rostral Maxillary and Ventral Conchal Sinuses of Horses. Veterinary Surgery38(5):607-12.
- Parkes, R, Weller, R, Groth, A M, May, S A and Pfau, T (2009)Evidence of the development of "domain-restricted expertise" in the recognition of asymmetric motion characteristic of hindlimb lameness in the horse. Equine Veterinary Journal, 41, 112-117
- J.D. Perkins, R.O. Salz, J. Schumacher, L. Livsey, R. Piercy, S. Barakzai (2009) Variability of Resting Endoscopic Grading for Assessment of Laryngeal Function in Horses. Equine Veterinary Journal 41, 342-346
- MORGAN, E.R., TOMLINSON, A., HUNTER, S., NICHOLS, T.,ROBERTS, E., FOX, M.T., TAYLOR, M.A. (2008) Angiostrongylus vasorum and Eucoleus aerophilus in foxes (Vulpes vulpes) in Great Britain. Veterinary Parasitology 154, 48-57
- Tompsett, H.H and Gregory, N.G. (2008). Ease of loading lambs onto vehicles at livestock markets. International Journal of Sheep and Wool Science 56, 33-39.
- Loeffler A, Baines SJ, Toleman MS, Felmingham D, Milsom SK, Edwards EA, Lloyd DH. (2008) In vitro activity of fusidic acid and mupirocin against coagulase-positive staphylococci from pets. J Antimicrob Chemother. 62(6):1301-4.
- Miller, C M, Basu, C, Fritsch, G, Hildebrandt, T and Hutchinson, J R (2008) Ontogenetic scaling of foot musculoskeletal anatomy in elephants. J. Roy. Soc. Interface 5, 465-476.
- Haworth, G M, Tranter, W, Chuck, J, Cheng, Z and Wathes, D C (2008) Relationships between age at first calving and first lactation milk yield and lifetime productivity and longevity in dairy cows. Veterinary Record 162, 643-647.
- Yamakawa, Y, Pennelegion, C, Willcocks, S, Stalker, A, MacHugh, N, Burt, D, Coffey, T J & Werling, D. (2008). Identification and functional characterisation of bovine orthologue to DC-SIGN. Journal of Leukocyte Biology (2008); 83 *6): 1396-1403.
- Cunningham, A A, Tems, C A & Russell, P R (2008).Immunohistochemical demonstration of Ranavirus Antigen in the tissues of infected frogs (Rana temporaria) with systemic haemorrhagic or cutaneous ulcerative disease. J Comp Path 138(1):3-11
- Ball, A.L. and Gregory, N.G. 2007. Prognostic indicators in cattle treated for uterine prolapse. Journal of Commonwealth Veterinary Association, 23 (2), 9-15.
- Pastore G E, Lamb C R, Lipscomb V J. (2007) Comparison of the results of abdominal ultrasonography and exploratory laparotomy in the dog and cat. Journal of the American Animal Hospital Association 43, 264-269.
- Bate C, Rumbold L and Williams A (2007) Statins reduce the neurotoxicity of platelet-activating factor. Journal of Neuroinflammation.4, 5.
- Gregory N G, Lee C J and Widdicombe J P (2007) Depth of concussion in cattle shot by penetrating captive bolt. Meat Science 77, 499-503.
- Oliver, S L, Wood, E, Asobayire, E, Wathes, D C, Brickell, J S, Elschner, M, Otto, P, Lambden, P R, Clarke, I N and Bridger, J C (2007)Serotype 1 and 2 Bovine Noroviruses are endemic in cattle in the United Kingdom and Germany. Journal of Clinical Microbiology 45, 3050-3052.
- Erlandsson, M & Munro, R. (2007). Estimation of the post-mortem interval in beagle dogs. Science and Justice 47:150-154
- Erles, K, Shiu, K-B, & Brownlie, J. (2007). Isolation and sequence analysis of canine respiratory coronavirus. Virus Research 124:78-87
- Kendall SL, Withers M, Soffair CN, Moreland NJ, Gurcha S, Sidders B, Frita R, Ten Bokum A, Besra GS, Lott JS, Stoker NG. (2007) A highly conserved transcriptional repressor controls a large regulon involved in lipid degradation in Mycobacterium smegmatis and Mycobacterium tuberculosis. Mol Microbiol 2007; 65: 684-99.
- M. Arkell, R. M. Archer, F. J. Guitian, S. A. May (2006) Evidence of bias affecting the interpretation of the results of local anaesthetic nerve blocks when assessing lameness in horses. Veterinary Record 159: 346-349
- Gregory, N.G., Shaw, F.D., Whitford, J.C. and Patterson-Kane, J.C. 2006. Prevalence of ballooning of the severed carotid arteries at slaughter in cattle, calves and sheep. Meat Science 74, 655-657.