Through the College's enrolment in the Jisc Collections / Wiley Read and Publish agreement, members of the College can publish full (gold) Open Access in any Wiley journal, at no cost to the researcher or department, subject to review and availability of funds (see below).
To publish without having to pay Article Publication Charges (APCs) for an open licence, the article's corresponding author must be a member of the RVC, and the article must have been accepted on or after 2 March 2020.
This arrangement is open to publication in any fully gold OA journal or a hybrid (subscription) journal that offers OnlineOpen. If publishing in a hybrid (subscription) journal, you must order OnlineOpen at the point of acceptance. The guide on Wiley's Author Services site offers detailed instructions on registering your affiliation and choosing an Open Access licence in either circumstance.
A few things to note:
- Per the agreement, corresponding author means 'the author who manages the manuscript and correspondence during the publication process - from submission through publication.'
- Requests will be reviewed by the Wiley account administrators, to check whether it meets the criteria (namely that the corresponding author is an active member of the College).
- This agreement cannot be used to cover additional charges (e.g. cover, colour, and page charges), which individual journals administer separately. Any such costs must be paid through separate arrangement.
- The 'transformative agreement' which governs this deal was negotiated on behalf of member institutions by Jisc, and allows the library subscription ('read') spend to be redistributed to cover both subscription access and publishing ('write') costs. The funds to pay APCs are drawn from a national open access account, the balance of which represents roughly half of the aggregate Wiley subscription spend by UK institutions (based on the calculation that half of this payment is for 'read' access to subscription titles, and half is allocated to 'write' costs (APCs)).
- APCs for eligible submissions will be covered as long as funds are available in the national account. Per the agreement: 'Jisc or Wiley cannot guarantee the fund will cover all UK articles particularly if publishing increases significantly or if author publication patterns change significantly.'
The Jisc / Wiley agreement provides full and permanent access to Wiley’s 2020 All Title List as well as open access publishing in over 1400 Wiley journals. A non-exhaustive list of Wiley titles which are popular among RVC researchers and practitioners would include:
- Arthritis & Rheumatology
- Journal of Bone and Mineral Research
- Equine Veterinary Education
- Equine Veterinary Journal
- Journal of Anatomy
- Journal of Experimental Zoology, Parts A and B
- Journal of Small Animal Practice
- Journal of Veterinary Emergency and Critical Care
- Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine
- Journal of Veterinary Pharmacology & Therapeutics
- Parasite Immunology
- Veterinary & Comparative Oncology
- Veterinary Dermatology
- Veterinary Ophthalmology
- Veterinary Radiology & Ultrasound
- Veterinary Surgery
- Zoonoses and Public Health