Department: Comparative Biomedical Sciences
Clinical Groups: Gait Analysis
Research Centres: Structure & Motion Laboratory
Grzegorz works as a postdoctoral researcher of Jim Usherwood team. The main theme is the human gait modeling and analysis of factors that affect its efficiency and energy optimization.
Grzegorz graduated the Silesian University of Technology, Faculty of Mechanical Engineering, with degree a Master of Science with a specialization in Biomechanics and Medical Equipment. Individual course of study allowed for the commencement of academic interest and cooperation with the Foundation for Cardiac Surgery Development in Zabrze (Poland), resulting in the thesis "Computer simulation of laparoscopic cardiac surgery using OpenGL". At the last year of studies made contact with the Department of Biomechanics of The Jerzy Kukuczka Academy of Physical Education in Katowice, where he worked research and teaching after graduation. Under the supervision of Professor Janusz Blaszczyk pursued his doctoral thesis "Mechanisms of human gait speed control", from which he graduated in 2008. In the meantime, significantly increased its research workshop in the field of biomechanics and human movement analysis. From 2012, he was appointed the position of assistant professor in the same place. Main research interests relate to human locomotion, factors affecting the maintenance of upright posture and new diagnostic methods in various forms of physical activity.
Since February 2015, he joined the Structure and Motion Lab, where the main theme is the human gait modeling and analysis of factors that affect its efficiency and energy optimization. Supervisor is Jim Usherwood.
The main research topic concerns the obtaining model of human gait (inverted pendulum model with prediction of ground reaction forces) for accurate reproduction of kinetic parameters. On its basis I will perform analysis of the factors contributing to energy expenditure during gait in terms of its energy optimization.
The second area of research is to improve the design of the 'spring shoes', which aim to increase walking comfort and support gait of people with inefficient or a weakened muscular system.
- Agnieszka Opala-Berdzik, Bogdan Bacik, Andrzej Markiewicz, Joanna Cieslinska-Swider, Dariusz Swider, Grzegorz Sobota, Janusz W Blaszczyk (2014) Comparison of Static Postural Stability in Exercising and Non-Exercising Women During the Perinatal Period. Medical science monitor: international medical journal of experimental and clinical research 10/2014; 20:1865-1870
- Kajetan Slomka, Grzegorz Juras, Grzegorz Sobota, Bogdan Bacik (2013) The reliability of a rambling-trembling analysis of center of pressure measures. Gait & Posture 37(2013), 210-213
- Karina Nowak, Grzegorz Sobota, Bogdan Bacik, Grzegorz Hajduk, Damian Kusz The dependence between clinical condition and value of the maximum force in the quadriceps femoris muscle during MVC test in patients with knee osteoarthritis. Acta of bioengineering and biomechanics 01/2012; 14(3):23-27
- Król P., Piecha M., Slomka K, Sobota G., Polak A., Juras G. (2011) The effect of whole body vibration frequency and amplitude on the myoelectric activity of vastus medialis na vastus lateralis. Journal of Sport Science and Medicine, Vol. 10 (2011), 169-174
- Król H., Sobota G., Golas A. (2010) Complex analysis of movement in evaluation of flat bench press performance.Acta of Bioengeneering and Biomechanics, Vol. 12, 2(2010), 93-98
- Zak E., Durmala J., Sobota G., Glowacka A. (2010) Driven gait orthosis locomotor training in a child with diplegia after botulin toxin injection. Acta Bio-Optica et Informatica Medica, Vol. 16, 3(2010), 219-221
- Olex-Zarychta D., Koprowski R., Sobota G., Wróbel Z. (2009) Asymmetry of magnetic motor evoked potentials recorded in calf muscles of the dominant and non-dominant lower extremity. Neuroscience Letters, doi:10.1016/j.neulet.2009.05.006
- Sobota G., Bacik B., Blaszczyk J. W. (2008) The influence of motor tasks on kinematic parameters of gait. In: G. Juras, K. Slomka (Ed.). Current research in motor control III From theories to clinical applications. Academy of Physical Education,: 85 –89, Katowice
- Sobota G., Król H., Nawrat A (2008) Complex analysis of movement in evaluation of motor task performance. In: G. Juras, K. Slomka (Ed.). Current research in motor control III From theories to clinical applications. Academy of Physical Education,: 313 –318, Katowice
- Juras G., Slomka K., Fredyk A., Sobota G., Bacik B. (2008) Evaluation of the limits of stability (LOS) balance test. Journal of Human Kinetics Vol. 19: 39-52.
- Sobota G., Bacik B., Blaszczyk J. W. (2008) Classification of the preferred velocity in normal human walk. Abstracts of the Congress of the Polish Society of Biomechanics. Acta of Bioengineering and Biomechanics, Vol. 10, suppl. 1: 14
- Sobota G. (2007) The influence of additional task on kinematic parameters of gait. Abstracts of the 16th Annual Meeting of ESMAC. Gait & Posture, Vol. 26, suppl.1: 89-90
- Król H., Sobota G., Nawrat A. (2007) Effect of electrode position on EMG recording in pectoralis major. Journal of Human Kinetics Vol. 17: 105-112.
His previous teaching experience relate to an area of biomechanics for students of Physiotherapy, Physical Education and Biomedical Engineering. He was a lecturer of following courses:
Laboratory of biomechanics
Laboratory of movement analysis
Laboratory of human locomotion
Analysis of sports movements
Electronic medical equipment
He was a member of teams working at hospitals in area of gait and muscle activity analysis for adults and children.