Department: Comparative Biomedical Sciences
Research Groups: Musculoskeletal Biology
Post-doctoral Research Assistant - BBSRC-funded - Image analysis of trabecular bone tissue morphology
- MSc Computational Science and Engineering ETH 2014
- Research Internship at M3DISIM, INRIA Saclay 2015
- PhD Scaling and Biomimetics of Bone Tissue Morphology RVC 2018
- Barbara Mawer Travelling Fellow 2018 (Bone Research Society/RVC/Manchester Metropolitan University)
Alessandro graduated with an MSc in Computational Science and Engineering from ETH Zurich. After a brief stint in a cardiovascular research group in France, he moved to the UK in 2014, completing his PhD in comparative anatomy and biomimetics of bone tissue morphology at RVC's Skeletal Biology Group, RVC's Structure and Motion Laboratory and industrial collaborators Foster+Partners architects . He now works as a post-doc research bone tissue morphology changes during osteoporosis progression by adding new features to open-source scientific image analysis software.
- Limb bone scaling in hopping macropods and quadrupedal artiodactyls
M Doube, AA Felder, MY Chua, K Lodhia, MM Klosowski, JR Hutchinson, SJ Shefelbine
Royal Society open science, 2018
- Secondary osteons scale allometrically in mammalian humerus and femur
AA Felder, C Phillips, H Cornish, M Cooke, JR Hutchinson, M Doube
Royal Society open science, 2017
- Mechano-adaptive space frame generation based on ellipsoid packing
A Felder, H Lewis, D Piker, AF Pereira, XDE Kestelier
Proceedings of IASS Annual Symposia 2016
- Patient-specific biomechanical modeling of cardiac amyloidosis–a case study
D Chapelle, A Felder, R Chabiniok, A Guellich, JF Deux, T Damy
International Conference on Functional Imaging and Modeling of the Heart, 2015
Alessandro is a Skills Tutor and helped supervise several student projects. He was a guest lecturer at the North Eastern University Summer School "Design principles in Nature" (led by Sandra Shefelbine).
Alessandro has participated in various outreach activities, including school visits in and around London, the London Open House, several RVC open days. He has helped design an experiment for the 2016 Royal Institution Christmas Lecture.