This information indicates what you will be asked to do and what you can expect if you are asked by the RVC and/or the NHS track and trace system to self-isolate due to contact with a COVID-19 confirmed case.
Firstly, if this happens, we appreciate your help and co-operation in this period of self-isolation to protect yourself and our community – thank you. We understand this will be a worrying time for you and we are here to provide help and support.
What You Will Be Asked to Do
- UK Government guidance asks that those required to self-isolate follow specific rules for that period. Please click this link to the latest update of this guidance.
- The 14-day period starts from the day when the person you had contact with became ill or, if they do not have symptoms, from the day their test was taken.
- If you start displaying symptoms, you must stay at home for at least 10 days from when the symptoms appear, regardless of what day you are on in the original 14-day isolation period.
- If you become symptomatic during your self-isolation period, please inform the advice centre immediately so that we can provide you with additional support.
- Maintain good hygiene within your household and in particular, any communal areas such as kitchens and bathrooms.
- Face coverings should be worn within your household for the self-isolation period, preferably disposable ones that are changed regularly, or fabric masks that are washed at 60 degrees.
- It is important to stress that you must not leave your household for any reason during this self-isolation period.
- It is better to plan ahead and be COVID-19 prepared; have at least 3 days food and medication supply in your accommodation to reduce the chance of such emergencies arising and sign up to a supermarket delivery service ahead of time.
Support that You Will Receive from the RVC
- Regular contact calls with your tutor to discuss your academic programme.
- Regular contact by phone, email or text from Student Success Coaches to help you keep up with your academic schedule and manage any assessments.
- Weekly wellbeing calls from the Advice Centre.
Managing Your Wellbeing
RVC Advice Centre
The Advice Centre has a range of mental health support for students. We have a team of Student Wellbeing Advisers, Counsellors and a Mental Health Adviser who are here to help. To find out more
Togetherall is a digital mental health and wellbeing support service which is available online, 24/7 via computer, tablet or smartphone
- To sign up visit www.togetherall.com
- Click 'Register' and then select the 'I'm from a University or College' tile.
- You will be prompted to enter your RVC email address and you can then set up an anonymous username.
The site is anonymous and the RVC will not be able to identify anyone using the site.
KickStart - Wellbeing online learning unit – This will help you reflect on how you can build and maintain your wellbeing. Please go to Life Skills to Thrive to access the wellbeing unit.
5 Ways to BE Well – Check out the full calendar of events and activities to help you take a break, reflect, learn, relax – to support your wellbeing. Many events are recorded if you weren’t able to attend.
Out of Hours Contacts
- Out of Hours GP: 111
- Emergency assistance: 999
- Police (non-emergency): 101
- London Nightline: 020 7631 0101 (6pm to 8am term-time only)
Free calls on skype or talk on-line via website: www.nightline.org.uk or text: 07717 989 900
- Samaritans: 116 123 email@example.com
- Students | Vetlife is a good resource specifically for veterinary medicine and nursing students www.vetlife.org.uk/students
For more information offered by your third party accommodation provider, please see the information below:
- Students are requested to order their groceries online. Mannequin House will arrange to take drivers to the flats to complete deliveries.
- Mannequin House can assist with the purchase of ad hoc items from the local Coop if students can make no alternative arrangements.
- Post can be collected to take to letterboxes.
- Parcels will be delivered directly to rooms, smaller items are already being delivered to the doors.
- Waste will be cleared on a daily basis at a set time.
- Maintenance will only take place in the event of an emergency