The Electronic Media Unit is based at the Royal Veterinary College (RVC) in London. It was originally established in 1997 with funding from the Higher Education Funding Council of England (HEFCE) to develop multimedia learning resources.
The Unit has since grown with the increasing importance of e-learning and e-communication within the College. It now has offices at both the Camden and Hawkshead campuses and provides support to staff and students throughout the RVC. The Unit currently has a staff of eleven people with experience of graphics, video, animation, instructional design and web development. It also employs recent graduates and current students to help with some of the many projects the Unit is working on.
The principal activities and responsibilities of the e-Media Unit include:
- Developing and supporting the RVC Virtual Learning Environment, RVC Learn
- Supporting the use of QuestionMark Perception for summative and formative assessment
- Filming, editing and streaming all College digital videos
- Provide technical and pedagogic support to the RVC e-CPD program
- Developing podcasts, wikis and blogs including collaborative projects with other institutions
- Providing staff and student training for all aspects of e-learning
- Working within the Bloomsbury Colleges to maintain a common e-learning platform
- Development and support of all RVC web sites
- Development and support of the College Intranet
More examples and information about some of these activities can be found on the Current Projects site.