Jill is responsible for the RVC's Continuing Professional Development (CPD) programme including management of the RCVS Certificate of Advanced Veterinary Practice. She is also Director of Clinical Extramural Studies (EMS) and contributes to the RVC's teaching programme for veterinary students and veterinary nurses.
Jill graduated from the University of Sydney in 1978. She completed an internship at the University of Sydney in 1979, spent 18 months in full time private practice then completed a residency in small animal medicine at the University of Guelph, Canada. She returned to Australia and completed a PhD entitled Neurochemistry of Hepatic Encephalopathy at The University of Sydney. She was a senior tutor and clinician in the Department of Veterinary Clinical Sciences from 1987 and from 1990-2000 was a senior lecturer in the Department of Pharmacology. During this time she also worked in general and specialist veterinary practice and was a consultant for a veterinary clinical pathology lab. In 2000 she became the Director of the Veterinary Science Foundation at the University of Sydney.
Jill moved to the UK with her family in April 2001. From 2002 she was a veterinary clinician and lecturer at the Royal Veterinary College, London based at the college’s first opinion practice, the Beaumont Sainsbury Animals’ Hospital, and a Fellow at Girton College, Cambridge where she tutored in pharmacology. In September 2005 she became the Director of Professional Development and head of the CPD Unit at the RVC. From 2009 to 2011 she was Director of the Clinical Investigation Centre. From January 2011 she has been Director of Clinical Extramural Studies.
Jill is actively involved in undergraduate teaching at the RVC in the areas of clinical problem solving and deductive clinical reasoning in small animal medicine and clinical pharmacology for veterinary students and nurses. She works two Saturdays a month at a local veterinary practice to remain in touch with small animal first opinion private practice.
Jill has published over 60 refereed papers in veterinary and medical journals and is the senior editor of Small Animal Clinical Pharmacology, the 2nd edition of which was published by Elsevier in 2008. She has been invited to speak at many CPD meetings (over 40 in the past 5 years) in the UK, Australia, Europe, Ireland, South Africa, Thailand, Aruba, Hong Kong, India and the USA. She was co-chair of the Scientific Program Committee for the World Small Animal Veterinary Association (WSAVA) Congress in 2007. In April 2012 she became the chair of the WSAVA Continuing Education (CE) Committee which facilitates CE for veterinarians in developing countries. Jill has been responsible for programming the clinical CPD streams at The London Vet Show since its launch in 2009.
Her particular undergraduate and CPD interests are clinical problem solving/deductive clinical reasoning in small animal medicine and practical, relevant clinical pharmacology for vets and veterinary nurses. She believes passionately that CPD should not only build the knowledge base and technical skills of veterinarians in private general practice, but also enhance their thinking and problem solving skills.
- Maddison, J.E. General feline therapeutic tips, Antibiotic treatment in cats, Corticosteroid treatment. In: BSAVA Manual of Feline Practice (in press)
- Maddison, J.E. Hepatoencephalopathy. In: Gastrointestinal and Liver Diseases of the Dog and Cat, Washabau R (ed) (in press)
- Maddison, J.E and Page, S.W. (2010) Adverse Drug Reactions. In: Textbook of Veterinary Internal Medicine, 7th ed. Ettinger, S.J. and Feldman, E.C. (eds). pp 621-626. Saunders
- Maddison, J.E, Syme, H. (2010) Chronic kidney disease in dogs and cats I: pathophysiology and diagnosis. Irish Veterinary Journal 63:44-50Maddison, J.E,
- Maddison, J.E. (2010) Medication compliance in small animal practice. Irish Veterinary Journal 64:39-43
- Maddison, J. E. (2009) Making drug choices: rational antibacterial therapy. Irish Veterinary Journal 62:469-475
- Maddison, J.E. (2008) Facing the challenge: pancreatitis and hepatobiliary disease in cats. Irish Veterinary Journal 61:603-606
- Maddison, J.E. (2007) Cats and NSAIDs: what are the issues? Irish Veterinary Journal 60:174-178
- Maddison, J.E., Page, S.P and Church, D.B. (eds) (2008) Small Animal Clinical Pharmacology, 2nd edition, Elsevier
- Short N, Maddison J.E, Mantis P and Salmon G (2007) Veterinary e-CPD: A New Model for Providing Online Continuing Professional Development for the Veterinary Profession J Veterinary Medical Education 34:689-694
- Maddison, J.E. (2006) Special Considerations Related to Drug Use in Cats. In: Feline Medical Problems, Rand, J. (ed), Elsevier, Edinburgh, pp: 1342-1350
- Maddison, J.E. (2005) Hepatic encephalopathy. BSAVA Manual of Canine and Feline Gastroenterology, pp. 109-111
- Maddison, J.E. and Papich, M. (eds) (2004) The Year in Small Animal Medicine Blackwell . ISBN 1-4051-3194-2
- Maddison, J.E and Page, S.W. (2004) Adverse Drug Reactions. In: Textbook of Veterinary Internal Medicine, 6th ed. Ettinger, S.J. and Feldman, E.C. (eds). Saunders, pp. 527-532
- Center, S.A and Maddison, J.E. (2004) Hepatic Encephalopathy. In: The Five Minute Consult, 3rd ed. Tilley, L.P and Smith, F.W.K (eds), Lippincott, Williams and Wilkins, p.558-559
- Maddison J.E., Page S.P and Church D.B. (eds) (2001) Small Animal Clinical Pharmacology. WB Saunders. ISBN 0 7020 2573 9.
- Watson ADJ and Maddison J.E. (2001) Systemic antibacterial drug use in dogs in Australia. Australian Veterinary Journal 79: 740-746.
- Maddison, J.E. (2000) Hepatic Encephalopathy. In: The Five Minute Consult, 2nd ed. Tilley, L.P and Smith, F.W.K (eds), Williams and Wilkins, pp. 768-769.
- Maddison, J.E. (2000) Adverse Drug Reactions. In: Textbook of Veterinary Internal Medicine, 5th ed. Ettinger, S.J. and Feldman, E.C. (eds). Saunders pp. 320-325
- Maddison, J.E. (2000) Newest insights into hepatic encephalopathy. European Journal of Comparative Gastroenterology 5:17-21.