Many postgraduate students in London live in private sector accommodation; either shared houses or lodgings.
- houses or flats to share with 2 to 5 other students (not shared with the owner)
- usually involve an assured shorthold tenancy agreement for 6 - 12 months
- average weekly rent is £150 excluding bill. Use the London rents map website to look at average house rent costs in the city.
- study bedroom in a house, sharing the kitchen/lounge/bathroom with the owner
- some lodgings have separate cooking facilities for tenants; some have ensuite facilities
- usually involve a licence agreement, which is less secure than a tenancy but can be more flexible, since you and the landlord need only give each other the full period between rent payments as sufficient notice for you to move out. So if you are looking for a contract of less than 6 months it may be worth considering lodgings
- average weekly rent is £120-140 per week including bills
The London Student Housing Guide website (www.studenthousing.lon.ac.uk) can help you in planning your search, inspecting properties, signing the contract and paying deposits and the Graduate School can advise on convenient areas of the city for travel to campus.
The University of London Housing Services (www.housing.london.ac.uk) provides a database of students offering/wanting accommodation in private rented housing and can give advice and guidance on related matters. A service is also available for student and visiting academics.
- How to Apply
- Fees & Funding
- Study Options
- Student Life
- Student Support
- Postgraduate Brochure “Your Vision”