RVC Website: | Home | Courses | Higher Degrees | Research | Clinical Services | RVC Enterprise | About Us | Contacts | Search |


Tax and National Insurance (NI)

Tax and National Insurance are statutory obligations for most people who are taking up employment, even if only on a Part Time basis.


Most people have a basic personal allowance of £10,000. This means that you only pay tax on earnings above this figure in the current tax year.

If you have paid tax in a year in which you did not exceed your personal allowance you may be entitled to a tax refund.

For further details about how to if you are entitled to a tax refund please see -  www.hmrc.gov.uk/students

It is important to keep P45s and P60s to back up your claim.

Contact your local Tax Office for further information. www.hmrc.gov.uk/menus/contactus.shtml

If you only work during the vacation period, ask your employer if you can fill out a P38(S) form. You should then be paid without tax being deducted.

National Insurance (NI)

National Insurance (NI) is payable on earnings above £149.00 per week.

Further Information

Useful sources of further information are:

Latest News


Student Finance England (SFE) applications for 2014/15 available, apply online now!  

RVC Bursary payment for 2014/15 is in March 2015, letter will be send out from Jan 2015. To view correspondence Login

US Loan 2014/15

New students; only apply after 1st May 2014. More Info

Continuing students; only apply after 15th May 2014 More Info

All your loan emails & documents should always be send to Financialaidoffice@rvc.ac.uk

Designed and developed by the RVC Electronic Media Unit