RVC Website: | Home | Courses | Higher Degrees | Research | Clinical Services | RVC Enterprise | About Us | Contacts | Search |


Employment for International Students

Students from the European Economic Area do not need permission to work in the UK. There are exceptions for nationals of 'the new member states' - those countries that joined the EU in May 2004. For nationals of some of these countries there is a requirement to use the Workers' Registration Scheme. For further information on this please refer to a Guidance note issued by UKCISA - www.ukcisa.org.uk

Students studying at UK institutions and who are not nationals of an EEA country are usually authorised to work in the UK, subject to the conditions listed below. Similarly, they are able to do work placements which are part of a sandwich course, or to undertake internship placements without the need to obtain special permission.

Students do not generally need to obtain special permission before they can work. The conditions covering the hours and type of work an international student from outside the EEA may do are as follows:

  • the student should not work for more than 20 hours per week during term time except where the placement is a necessary part of their studies with the agreement of the education institution;
  • the student should not engage in business, self-employment or the provision of services as a professional sportsperson or entertainer;
  • the student should not pursue a career by filling a permanent full time vacancy.

This applies to people admitted to the UK as students for more than six months. Their passport stamp will continue to state that they can only work with permission from the Secretary of State for Employment. You may not work if your visa or passport stamp state, 'No work' or 'Employment prohibited' or that you must 'not engage in employment' (unless it also contains the words 'consent of the Secretary of State').

A student's husband or wife will be given a visa or passport stamp that allows them to work if the student is given permission to stay in the UK for twelve months or more.

Any student wishing to work in the UK will need to apply for a National Insurance number (NINO), but you do not need to have received your NI number before you can start work. Your Local Benefits Agency or JobCentre Plus (National Insurance Contributions Section) will advise you on how to apply. The RVC has a local contact who can assist you with applying for an NI very easily. For detailed information see 'NINO' below.

For further information on this and a whole range of other issues relating to overseas students in the UK, please visit the UKCISA website. They publish a wide range of updated Guidance Notes covering many practical issues that you may face, including council tax, healthcare, immigration, etc.


If you have the right to work in the UK, and you have started, or are about to start working, you need to get a National Insurance Number (NINO).  It is made up of letters and numbers and may look like this:  AB 11 22 33 C (this is just an example).

The RVC has an arrangement with a National Insurance Office in Tooting, South London, to make it easy to apply.  

Their address is: 67 Upper Tooting Road, London SW17 7TN.
Nearest tube: Tooting Bec (Northern Line) or buses 155, 355, 219.

To make an appointment, call 020 8218 4451 or email:  tootingninobookings@jobcentreplus.gsi.gov.uk

You will have to take some documents to the interview with you, they must be originals; some examples are: passport, letter from college including your course details, tenancy agreement.

Latest News


Student Finance England (SFE) applications for 2014/15 available, apply online now!  

RVC Bursary payment for 2014/15 is in March 2015, letter will be send out from Jan 2015. To view correspondence Login

US Loan 2014/15

New students; only apply after 1st May 2014. More Info

Continuing students; only apply after 15th May 2014 More Info

All your loan emails & documents should always be send to Financialaidoffice@rvc.ac.uk

Designed and developed by the RVC Electronic Media Unit