Introduction to LISD
Delivering Library and IT/AV support functions, the Library and Information Services Division (LISD) strives to be at the forefront of information provision and learning facilities - via paper, electronic or audio visual means. Our Learning Resources Centres at Hawkshead and at Camden provide a wide range of facilities tailored to student's learning needs and continues to undergo upgrades and refurbishments to improve the user's experience.
As part of the Academic Support Department (ASD) we offer a wide range of services to students and staff. Our primary functions relate to the operation of the IT Helpdesk, AV, Library, Applications and Project teams who provide support and development to teaching, research and business activities within the College.
LISD provides the following services across the College:
- Library and Learning Resource Centres
- IT Helpdesk and Out of Hours IT support
- Audio Visual facilities and associated support
- Management Information and 'in house' applications
- IT Purchasing
- Data protection and Freedom of Information advice
- Assistive technology
- Archive and historical collection development
- Information for external users and visitors
Please read this before visiting us.
- SCOUT for Resources
Search the RVC Library.
- RVC Historical Collection
The history of the college and the veterinary arts.
The Royal Veterinary College Library is a member of the M25 Consortium of Higher Education Libraries
Information Services aim to promote and support the effective use and development of information technology (IT) throughout RVC. The division strives to ensure that IT is used in an appropriate manner in order to:
- assist in the efficient and cost effective running of the institution
- improve the quality of education and research
- enhance the reputation of the college
- identify opportunities to use IT to improve the quality and cost effectiveness of teaching and research
- develop users' skills in the operation of software and systems, through the provision of training and advice
Where to find us
IT Helpdesk, Library and AV staff are centrally based in the Learning Resources Centres at each campus:
Camden LRC - Hobday Building (1st floor)
Hawkshead LRC - Eclipse Building (2nd floor).
Regular 'Laptop Clinics' are also held within the Learning Centres to assist students configure their personal equipment for the RVC's network and email system.
Helpdesk Hours of operation:
Monday - Friday 9.00am to 5.00pm (AV and telephone support from 8.00 am)
The Helpdesk also operates an Out of Hours service which can be telephoned for IT advice and assistance during evenings, weekends and Bank Holidays – please contact the Helpdesk for further details:
Out of hours: Mon - Fri 5.00pm to 8.00am and 24hr/day at weekends & Bank Holidays.
'Open Access' computer availability
Open Access computing rooms are also available to students when the Libraries are closed providing 24 hour access to IT facilities (access to the computer rooms can be made by swiping a valid ID card at the entrances).
A number of IT services can be securely accessed remotely by students and staff including:
Email via RVC webmail
Password problem resolution
LISD 'IT portal'
(NB. All online services require username and password authentication)