History of the Beaumont Sainsbury Animal Hospital
The Royal Veterinary College has stood in Camden since 1791. Originally most of the animals treated were horses and livestock, but some companion animals have always been seen (during 1828 for example sixteen dogs were admitted for treatment). As the years passed, domestic companion animals became increasingly important in society and the university widened this aspect of its curriculum. Accordingly they started building The Beaumont Animals' Hospital in 1932.
The hospital was completed and opened in 1933 as an undergraduate teaching hospital. £25,000 came from the will of a wealthy Yorkshire lady - Mrs Sarah Martin Grove-Grady, the daughter of J Beaumont of Huddersfield. She had helped establish the first horse ambulance service in London.
It has remained open ever since and like the Windmill theatre was kept open during the Second World War when the rest of the College was evacuated. The small animal referral and equine work moved to the Potters Bar site in 1958. The Beaumont remained in Camden as the RVC's general practice.
In 2010, the trustees of the Jean Sainsbury Animal Welfare Trust made a substantial one-off donation towards the complete refurbishment of the hospital. For many years Jean Sainsbury was a supporter of the work of the RVC in general and the hospital in particular. Jean's support of the College was formally recognised in 1994 by the award of an Honorary Fellowship, and in 2010 the hospital itself was renamed the Beaumont Sainsbury Animal Hospital in her memory.
(The Jean Sainsbury Animal Welfare Trust is not in any way connected to the Sainsbury family or retail group)
Today the BSAH offers our final year students the opportunity to work in a busy city centre practice, and our veterinary surgeons and nursing team remain committed to providing a high quality, professional and caring service to pet owners.